• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Review for Rotterdam to Norwegian Fjords
jeph
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Jun 2018
Cabin: Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)

Background: After a 2017 made somewhat horrifying by having to confront a potentially life-threatening health crisis, I wanted to give myself something to look forward to, and planned it far enough in advance-- nearly a year out-- that even if I'd needed to endure a long operation to have the offending organ yanked out, I would still have had sufficient time to recover to make the trip.  Fortunately, it didn't come to that, and the trip was fantastic-- real "bucket list" stuff, and all places I'd long wanted to visit but never had.

Two friends from my area-- the mother in her mid-eighties, and her daughter, mid-fifties-- joined me in this adventure. (Because they made their arrangements much later, they wound up at different hotels and on different flights than the ones I'd booked, but we made it work, and spent most of our time together.)  I will get to the ship a bit later, and start with...

THE TRIP:

Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)

Cabin HH

Not quite as large as the balcony cabin (HAL has taken to calling all such cabins "suites" on this class of ship) shared by my friends, but plenty comfortable for me, and offering some view and natural light despite its "obstructed view" category designation. All cabins seem to come with tubs, not just shower-- but either way, I'd prefer a showerhead which you can slide up or down to suit your height, and can be taken off that mount altogether as needed.

Port Reviews

Bergen

Geiranger

Eidfjord

Rotterdam

The city was nearly wiped out during WWII, which means it's nearly all "modern"...which means it's nearly all "nothing too enjoyable to look at, and looking at some of the more outlandish structures may give you a headache". Oh well..."Your mileage may vary!" ;-)

5 Helpful Votes