3. Liberty of the Seas
I’ve been on about a dozen cruises on pretty much all of the major cruise lines. We went on a cruise on the RCL Liberty of the Seas. We had 3 generations of our family there, with age ranges from 18-81. The ship was nice, similar to other large cruise ships we have been on in the past. A few callouts on what we thought of the ship. THINGS NOT TO MISS • Don’t miss out on the 5th floor. Sorrento’s Pizza was fantastic, far better than the pizza you could get on the Windjammer. The Hoof and Claw has a great, with an extended bar selection. There is also a café that has Starbucks for coffee junkies (for a charge, unless you have the drink package) • There were also great musicians on the 5th floor – both a piano and guitar players. • The wave runner was fun – and something even 50 year old me could do. But I wasn’t as impressed with the slide or the other things on the sports deck. My brother did the climbing wall and said it was nice. • Poolside was fine, there were different areas depending upon what you wanted to do. CABIN • We had room 7206, an odd shaped corner room in the front of the ship. THIS WAS A GREAT ROOM – had 2 huge windows. We also liked being in the front of the ship, because it was much easier to get around. Our room steward was great. • The other room that we didn’t stay in – but learned about, was room 6305 – which was the ‘sweet’ room. It overlooked Ben and Jerry’s on the promenade – and if you stayed there, you got free Ben & Jerry’s the entire week. FOOD • The food in the Windjammer was typical cafeteria fare. As long as you kept your expectations realistic, it was fine. Don’t skip over the Asian foods -- particularly the Indian food. The deserts were also very good. We ate dinner here one night, which was surprisingly better than we expected. • Main Dining room. The service was outstanding, but the food was only ‘fair’. It got MUCH better when I decided to let our waiter order for us rather than trying to pick. I would strongly recommend doing the same. • I didn’t go to the premium dining areas, but our family did go to Chops, which we were told was ‘just OK’. PORTS We had 3 ports – Roatan, Honduras , Belize and Cozumel. • Roatan –No need to book through the ship, they sell the excursions when you get off of the ship. We went on the zip line and also included visiting a few animals -- parrots and monkeys. The whole area was very touristy (that isn’t a bad thing) and limited to a small part of the island. We actually enjoyed it, but it was probably a ‘one time’ thing for me. Cost was $65 per person • Belize – THE BEST… This is the reason I wanted this itinerary. We went Cave Tubing with David from Cave Tubing R Us… We have been before – but as I was reminded by my 24 year old daughter – “I built it up so much – and it lived up to the expectations. I would DEFINITELY use David/Cave Tubing R Us rather than the ship. It was a lot more personal and fun. Cost is only $50 and it is the best shore excursion ever!!! I’d also suggest paying the extra $10 to get the meal at the end – it was a lot of fun getting to know Belizean food! I’ve heard that the scuba and snorkeling is amazing – and I’m sure it is. But if you haven’t been cave tubing, please do yourself a favor and do it. • Cozumel – been here many times and it’s not my favorite. If you haven’t been to Tulum, it is amazing – but a long bus ride (this is the one tour I would suggest booking through the ship). OTHER TIDBITS • Like all cruises, they are constantly trying to sell stuff to you. This is a sad reality of cruising in today’s world, because everyone needs to make a buck. • We brought dry erase boards and 3M strips, which was a really nice of letting everyone know where we were. It’s worth a trip to the dollar store to get these! • The drink package was probably overkill. It was nice because we didn’t have to think about anything – but I felt guilty if I didn’t have a drink in my hand. Unless you are a big drinker, I would pass on this. They do sell prepaid cards where you can buy 10 drinks for $79.99 or 15 premium coffees for $31.99 • Remember that you can bring a bottle of wine per person aboard. This is especially important if you listen to my suggestion above

LIberty of the Seas Review

Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Squeak9906

THINGS NOT TO MISS

CABIN

FOOD

PORTS

We had 3 ports – Roatan, Honduras , Belize and Cozumel.

OTHER TIDBITS

Squeak9906’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 1N 7206
This is an awesome room. It is a corner room and is easily twice the size of a normal room!!! We did not have any problem with the boat moving too much either.
Deck 3 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Cave-Tubing
    If I could give this 10 stars I would. This is a MUST DO experience and I could not recommend anyone higher than David @ Cave Tubing R Us. Don't book this through the cruise ship - it is more expensive and you are stuck in a big old city bus.

It a fun van ride to the river, where you'll get a tour about Belize and what is going on. David even stopped so we could get a few drinks in advance - and much cheaper than you could anywhere else. They accept USD everywhere ($2 Belize = $1 USD)

When you arrive, it is a 30 minute walk through the woods. We had the opportunity to taste termites (actually not bad), which was fun. And remember, you are WALKING THROUGH THE BELIZIAN RAIN FOREST!!!

Then we got our inner tubes and flashlights and just floated through the caves. Once out of the caves, we could get off the tubes and swim if we wanted to, which we did.

Definitely the best excursion I've been on...
    View All 334 Cave-Tubing Reviews
  • Ziplining
    This was touristy, but actually kind of fun. In addition to ziplining, they had an area with a few animals (including monkeys) for you to play with. Cost was $65 for the 'ultimate ziplining excursion' - and they sell it in the cruise terminal.
    View All 165 Ziplining Reviews