Emerald Princess Cruise Review
1,737 Reviews

Alaska is great, Go on any other Cruise Line, Princess Sucks!

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by crossbay33

• Sail Date: Jun 2018
  • Destination: Alaska

I will start with we the fact that this was our first Cruise on Princess, but we have taken 9 on RCL, 2 on NCL, and 2 on Carnival so we did have something to compare it to. Princess will not get a Second chance. We cruise with a group often so we take turns planning and picking cruise line and itinerary.

My wife and I had done Alaska before on NCL and had loved it, we were on the Sun. So this was our turn to pick, we decided to take our kids this time and had booked 2 of the 8 cabins in the group. No one in the group had been on Princess and we had heard great things about Princess in Alaska. So We spent over 7K on an inside and Balcony Cabin. Our friends who often do go with had the Balcony next door, we always open the balconies for a double balcony and had booked together and asked for this. The Group was in his and mine last names. When we got to the ship the Balconies were not opened, it took 3 days and 9 requests to have it done.

Princess switched our booking group agent a few times, once we all called and left messages for the old guy which no one returned and finally one dy after an hour on the 800 number I happened to get Robert by coincidence and he tells me I got moved out of Group Booking a month ago and Brenda took over. Brenda who? Then they got our dining messed up had to fix at the boat to get our group together, and even 2 of the cabins weren't even confirmed for the dining time. I was like huh, we booked as a group over 15 months in advance.

The ship was dirty, understaffed, and the staff that were there were plainly rude. Walking down the ship when you pas a crew member they look down, or turn away not even addressing or greeting you. There were a few who tried and if you commented they would make faces or utter comments. While waiting for coffee at the expresso bar I actually heard 3 of the female waitstaff making fun of two "Fat Americans and their Starbucks" older ladies who had brought their own insulated cups rather than use the disposable. I complained to the Customer Service Desk and was told sorry , fill out a comment card, which I did and got no response. I put my name, cabin number and email on the comment. I told the Purser I did not want any money returned, any discount, or anything in return but to be acknowledged and to know when people spend almost 100k as a group to go on a cruise they get what they expect.

Last few comments as I could go on forever, just remember Never Princess. 1980 called and wants their battered and fried food back. Lets try some healthy options other than a dated salad bar. The food was dated, Bland, and starchy. I want Protein and Veggies...

When you have the Moscow Mule on your bar menu and someone with an $70 a day Ultimate Beverage package walks up and orders it, dont argue with them that you cant serve because he will have to charge you for two drinks and you can only get one on your package every so many minutes. Even though you had one earlier from a different bar. I complained and they figured it out but why. Oh, and the drink package includes fountain sodas, Alcoholic drinks, red bull, specialty coffee drinks, but if you order a soda that some bar on the ship only has in cans then its $2 or you can go hunt it on fountain somewhere else. Whats that, RCCL and others include canned soda. I mean you already got my for a Drink package I will never take advantage of unless I stay drunk which I wouldn't. I only got it because it was part of the group booking.

That said, the Weather was beautiful, Alaska was gorgeous, We saw beautiful wildlife, bought souvenirs and had good time with friends, so not all lost. We just stayed in a dump.

The bed was comfortable, the Excursions were good and fun (we went on a Seaplane, horseback riding, glacier up-close boat ride, Jeep Tour, wildlife excursion. So got around and had an adventure. Our Group has a Mediterranean Cruise and a Transatlantic booked in the future, thankfully both on RCCL otherwise I would be cancelling now and not going.

crossbay33's Full Rating Summary

Seattle

We were in Seattle a few days before departure, Spent time doing Space Needle, Pike Market, Great Fresh Foods everywhere. Fun City to Visit, stayed at an AirBnB.

Ketchikan

Had the Best local Fish Taco's, Checked out town and changes since last visit. Many more Jewelry stores many less bars...

Float Plane

Wings Airlines is the Best, Glacier flight was awesome

View All 93 Float Plane Reviews
Victoria

Walked to town and at Perogies at hip Joint. Cab ride back to boat was $40 US and food made me sick as a dog the next morning trying to leave ship. a wee bit food poisoning.

Horseback Riding

Chiltook Trail by Horseback, Visited the abandon town of Dyea. Great time and photo opps.

View All 17 Horseback Riding Reviews