3. Norwegian Gem
After going on many cruises down to the Caribbean, my husband and I thought going up north would be a good change. We had been on the Gem 2 times prior and really like the size of this ship. It was nice to go on excursions that did not involve snorkeling and such. We went on nature watching cruises and lobster cruises to help pull lobster traps. The only downside was the weather (which I know I can't control). It was raining and cold, but we checked the weather before the cruise and packed appropriately. If you go to Portland, check out Lucky Catch Cruises for a lobster pull and then the opportunity to buy a lobster and walk it over to the Portland Lobster Co. for them to cook it and have a great lobster meal! The ship is smaller than the newer ones which makes for more room for quiet time. There are plenty of places to find to read or just seat and listen to music. The shows are more on the variety side, then the large Broadway productions, so there are 2 performances of the same show daily so you can work around that for your meals. The staff on the Gem are very friendly and attentive to your needs. The specialty restaurants are a great place to go for a change to the main dinning rooms. The buffet is rough, crowded and very similar food for breakfast and lunch. They do have theme nights in the buffet each night for those who wish. The nicest part of the food is that on sea days, they do a BBQ out on the deck for lunch. Chicken, sausage, paella, and veggies. Great way to spend a sea day on deck with a BBQ. I would recommend this cruise for a change of pace and new places to see.

Great Getaway

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by SRBuffalo158

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Oceanview Porthole Window

I would recommend this cruise for a change of pace and new places to see.
SRBuffalo158’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Mid-Ship Oceanview Porthole Window
Cabin OF 4588
My husband and I had an Oceanview cabin with a porthole aft of the ship. The cabin is small, but this is the type of cabin we are used to and get almost every time we cruise. The location was great, off the elevator and that made getting to places easy. Straight up was the buffet, so no walking across the deck for breakfast.
Cabins are a personal preference.
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins