3. MSC Seaside
I cruised with 2 older teenage girls who were celebrating high school graduations. We have previously cruised with Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We selected this cruise because of the great deal but almost cancelled more than once due to earlier reviews. The embarkation process was quick and easy. We arrived at the port at 12:45, dropped our luggage, parked, went through security, checked in and arrived at our room at 1:50. We’d been told we couldn’t get into the room before 2:00 but we had no problem getting to it and getting in once we figured out that you have to push the door handle down really hard. We thought the door just wasn’t unlocking. The room is ocean view. We had it set up with 2 single beds and the couch flipped over into a bed. The room was comparable in size to similar rooms we’ve had before but definitely less storage. We brought the magnetic hooks and they worked well. The ship is gorgeous. There are lights and mirrors everywhere. The staircases are beautiful. She’s quite modern in decor yet has a warm and welcoming feel. The lunch buffet was the best I’ve ever had. There was not an overwhelming crowd, which can be typical, and the food was surprisingly good. Later, we had dinner in the main dining room. The dining room was also decorated with a modern flair and did not have the grand.ballroom type of feel that Carnival and RC sport. We were initially underwhelmed with the dining room but we had great wait staff who made up for the lack of bling. They were personable and engaging. I had difficulty understanding our waiter sometimes but between the three of us, one of us always figured it out. We are on deck 8 buffet for breakfast and lunch each day and the the dining room for dinner. We found the food to be superior to our other cruises. There was plenty of variety, it was cooked well and served at the appropriate temperatures. We were assigned the early dinner seating of 5:15. We initially thought about asking for a change but once we tried it we liked it. We went to dinner at 5:15 and got out in time for the 6:45 show. Then we were able to spend the rest of the evenings at parties or lounge events. We didn’t attend the show the first night but we attended all the rest. Overall, they are very good once you accept they aren’t “plays”. They are hodgepodge variety acts with a theme. Some of the talent is circus-like and most of the performers were amazing with their specialties. We had a disappointment with the spa. I’d pre-booked a massage/facial package for the girls that included spa entrance for the duration of the cruise. Because the girls were 17, they told us the booking was a mistake as you have to be 18. They did make substitution of hair and nail treatments in lieu of spa usage. The entertainment team on the ship is top notch. They worked exceptionally hard to make sure everyone is welcomed and engaged regardless of the passenger age, young and old. There was plenty of American music from a variety of eras throughout the cruise. My teenagers loved it and I did too. Disembarking was unbelievably well organized. We did Express walk-off. We were in our car pulling out at 7am. We rank this cruise as our best ever. We had a really good time, every day. Maybe because we had lower expectations, we were pleasantly surprised? I’m not sure, but I definitely would recommend.

Seaside 6/23-6/30, excellent!