3. Majestic Princess
Majestic Princess is the newest Princess ship built for China, but after less than a full season business seems not as good as expected, and it moves to Taiwan for a while, then after returning to China for some charters it is rumoured that the ship will leave Asia via an Australian season. This ship, my 8th Princess ship, is the best Princess ship I have so far cruised on. The shops are upgraded to cater for Chinese luxury spenders and well decorated and arranged, much better than streetwise shopping on sister ship Regal Princess. There is a larger choice of restaurants too decided to make you pay. But it is good that the ship retains much of an atmosphere of international cruising, despite Chinese signage, and for this trip menus are given in Chinese (with a lot of wrong translation) as the majority if not all passengers are Chinese. The majority of crew are however international, many not Chinese speaking, yet it manages well. There are more small tables to cater for couples, and small table is available in restaurants even for breakfast and lunch. Menu retains the Western standards but with Chinese items added. There are 3 restaurants offering sufficient facility but the buffet area is definitely too small, and you virtually can't find a seat at peak time. The best paid restaurant is the Princess standard Crown Grill. The Chinese food is no good, not Michelin star food but home dishes. I had a restricted balcony, the cheapest balcony grade but it doesn't bother me as I never go out to use the balcony in such hot weather. If you do, then the balcony is so narrow as to be of no use. What is good is that a water kettle is provided, with tea bags. You won't find this on other Princess ships, but I believe this service will be out if not cruising in China. Princess had hailed the new production shows as spectacular but theatre facility failed to take in all passengers, so many were turned away. But no harm, as the show was simply what other cruise lines better in entertainment had been doing for years. It still fails to compare with Dream Cruises, Star Cruises, NCL, MSC, and RCI. There are other local shows. The magician was a disaster but the Taiwan violinist Venus Tsai is very good, pleasing in looks and she played a high powered violin and hosted a good show. I later learned that she is popular in this area and appears with RCI, NCL and Holland America as well. I am happy with the ship but regret that it may have to leave my region. The blame may be due to the Princess management in Shanghai who failed to give it due promotion and good operation (for example menus are wrongly translated). It is sad if the ship has to leave this market, while RCI even with bigger ships and more capacity can manage to stay on in China/Asia. The cruise is 6 nights than the standard 7 and Princess is probably the most flexible operator capable of rescheduling the ship quickly, while Norwegian Joy continues to struggle. We called at Kagoshima, probably chosen only because of the easy location, then Hiroshima which is very interesting though the ship berths far away, then finally a small Japanese town of no touristic interest. Embarkation was good for me as a Platinum member for priority, and as I took my luggage by myself I can freely disembark almost as soon as we berthed.

Good Reposition

Majestic Princess Cruise Review by AWHW

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Balcony (obstructed view)

AWHW’s Full Rating Summary
Get Majestic Princess price drops

Deluxe Balcony (obstructed view)
Cabin DW E506
Cabin of fair size and the obstructed view and narrow balcony do not bother me. Good that tea amker is available in the cabin.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins