3. Marella Explorer
Booked this cruise very last minute and because it had just had a refurb. Well not much of a refurb apart from the Indigo area which was more like an aircraft hangar with about the same atmosphere! Ship overall was dated but clean and tidy with a lot of problems with public toilets, constantly blocked throughout the cruise. Cabin good standard and well serviced, hammock a nice touch. Dining was abit of a lottery really, MDR poor choice, small portions, designed to get you to use the speciality restuarants which were very expensive IMO. There were no prices for these anywhere that I could see so enquired at reception and was told curtly that prices were on the TV screens about the ship. I checked and they were not, back to reception who reluctantly told me the prices. I can see why they dont advertise them just hoping people will book and find out at the end of the meal. This is Thomsons not Cunard how they can charge £25pp for a curry £29pp for a steak and £35pp for French place is beyond me, 50% more than P and O. Reluctantly we went to the Steak rest last night and it was OK, not great and not worth the extra. Restaurant staff were varied, Philipino staff friendly and competent, Eastern Europeans surly with selective deafness. Theatre Enteertainment ok in parts, Rockololoy and Soul Shows good others not so, visiting act dreadful. Other acts around ship were like poor pub performers do same material every night. Excursions not used as too expensive, made our own way as usual. All inclusive drinks were of poor quality with hardly any cocktails available, draft beer consisted of Fosters, John Smiths and something they called Strongbow but wasnt. Again all emphasis was to get you to upgrade. Savinggrace of this cruise was the staff almost all were extemely friendly and helpful, the best we have ever had and we have done 25 cruises with 10 cruise lines, Must mention Marlon and Emile who looked after us in the Med bar Def would not use Explorer again and doubtful use Tui again, there is better value out there.

Tui above their station

Marella Explorer Cruise Review by trevessa

Cabin good standard and well serviced, hammock a nice touch.

Excursions not used as too expensive, made our own way as usual.

trevessa’s Full Rating Summary
Get Marella Explorer price drops

good service from our team