3. Silver Whisper
I chose this cruise based on itinerary, I had not sailed on Silversea before. I liked the Silver Whisper a lot. The staff was (mostly) fantastic, the ship was comfortable, and the food was excellent. Silversea really handles the detail work of embarkation and disembarkation well. The ship was full but never felt crowded, which surprised me. It was great to not have lines or waiting at meals or disembarking. I understand the ship is due for an overhaul in December, and I'm sure they will take care of some of the worn out areas I noticed (bathroom caulk, etc.) We ate dinners one time each at La Terrazza and The Grill. Eating outside was a very nice change from the Restaurant. Definitely reserve ahead via MySilversea! I only ate lunch once at the Grill, but it was very good and wished I had discovered the menu sooner. The vegetarian offerings were terrific. I always had several choices of entrees and starters. The cruise was very busy with a port each day, so I didn't spend much time hanging out around the ship or trying anything like the spa or workout facility. We stopped at Santorini, Marmaris (Turkey), Symi, Rhodes, Patmos, and Paros. Santorini was a zoo, even though we were there on a light day. I would not go back. The scenery was just as beautiful at our other stops. Many of these were new ports for the staff, and that was the one weak point of the cruise. The shore desk staff just didn't know much about each place or the excursions! I had done a lot of research before leaving and had some ideas of what I wanted to see, but it would have been helpful to have more information available on board. They did have reps from the local tourism office board the ship as soon as possible each morning, which was enormously helpful. They had maps and information about taxis, etc. They should also keep a copy of a Fodors or other travel guide for passengers to peruse. In Athens, we booked our own hotel (the Athens Was-excellent boutique hotel near the Acropolis) and they arranged our taxi to the port. Very easy, so no need for Silversea's arrangements.

Athens and some Greek Islands

Silver Whisper Cruise Review by summertrav

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Suite

summertrav’s Full Rating Summary
Get Silversea Silver Whisper price drops

• Athens (Piraeus)
    Athens is very easy to navigate on your own. I wish I had spent a few more days exploring the city! We took a taxi to the port, booked by our hotel.
    View All 1,252 Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Review
  • Patmos
    Patmos was lovely. We took a taxi to a quiet, clean beach with a nice taverna for lunch. It was called Agriolivado. A round trip taxi was 30 euro, which was the same price for renting a car for the day, so we probably paid too much, but it was worth it! Lunch was delicious and we got chairs in a nice shady spot. The water was cool and clear.

Skala had very nice shops and pretty views all around. Go down the side streets to see interesting houses and plantings.
    View All 9 Patmos Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Patmos Cruise Port Review
  • Lindos Walking Tour
    We did the Lindos and the Acropolis of Lindos. The guide was excellent, and the tour was well structured to end with free time in Lindos. The Acropolis is a steep climb, and not suitable for some people. The stairs do not have a railing, so some people were quite nervous going up and down. The path leading to the stairs is a bit slippery. Once up there, the views were gorgeous and the history of Lindos is very interesting. The town is pretty, once you walk down some side streets. The main streets are crowded with ice cream shops and touristy shops, though I did find a few upscale shops with local products as well.
    View All 48 Lindos Walking Tour Reviews
  • Oia Village
    We did Oia on Your Own, and it was probably the best way to see it. It was plenty of time in Oia and Fira. Both were very crowded, junky shops lining every walkway, and we were there on a light day! I would have liked to try a wine tasting as part of the excursion, people enjoyed the ones that stopped at a winery.
    View All 225 Oia Village Reviews