• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

summertrav
2-5 Cruises • Age 40s

Sail Date: Jun 2018
Cabin: Veranda Suite

I chose this cruise based on itinerary, I had not sailed on Silversea before. I liked the Silver Whisper a lot. The staff was (mostly) fantastic, the ship was comfortable, and the food was excellent. Silversea really handles the detail work of embarkation and disembarkation well. The ship was full but never felt crowded, which surprised me. It was great to not have lines or waiting at meals or disembarking. I understand the ship is due for an overhaul in December, and I'm sure they will take care of some of the worn out areas I noticed (bathroom caulk, etc.) We ate dinners one time each at La Terrazza and The Grill. Eating outside was a very nice change from the Restaurant. Definitely reserve ahead via MySilversea! I only ate lunch once at the Grill, but it was very good and wished I had discovered the menu sooner. The vegetarian offerings were terrific. I always had several choices of entrees and starters. The cruise was very busy with a port each day, so I didn't spend much time hanging out around the ship or trying anything like the spa or workout facility.

We stopped at Santorini, Marmaris (Turkey), Symi, Rhodes, Patmos, and Paros. Santorini was a zoo, even though we were there on a light day. I would not go back. The scenery was just as beautiful at our other stops. Many of these were new ports for the staff, and that was the one weak point of the cruise. The shore desk staff just didn't know much about each place or the excursions! I had done a lot of research before leaving and had some ideas of what I wanted to see, but it would have been helpful to have more information available on board. They did have reps from the local tourism office board the ship as soon as possible each morning, which was enormously helpful. They had maps and information about taxis, etc. They should also keep a copy of a Fodors or other travel guide for passengers to peruse.

In Athens, we booked our own hotel (the Athens Was-excellent boutique hotel near the Acropolis) and they arranged our taxi to the port. Very easy, so no need for Silversea's arrangements.

Veranda Suite

Port Reviews

Athens (Piraeus)

Athens is very easy to navigate on your own. I wish I had spent a few more days exploring the city! We took a taxi to the port, booked by our hotel.

Patmos

Patmos was lovely. We took a taxi to a quiet, clean beach with a nice taverna for lunch. It was called Agriolivado. A round trip taxi was 30 euro, which was the same price for renting a car for the day, so we probably paid too much, but it was worth it! Lunch was delicious and we got chairs in a nice shady spot. The water was cool and clear.

Skala had very nice shops and pretty views all around. Go down the side streets to see interesting houses and plantings.

5 Helpful Votes