3. Viking Sea
I travelled with my husband and we chose this ship because of the itinerary and the sterling reviews we found. We went on the pre-cruise Viking extension to Iceland and then boarded the Viking Sea in Bergen, Norway. We were in cabin 3021. We mainly had our meals in the World Cafe, although we did try out The Restaurant & The Chef Table. Thank you for the opportunity to share my opinion of this trip. -First of all, the Iceland extension was very interesting because Iceland is very unique. It is also a very expensive country. No fault of Viking-but be prepared to spend a lot of money for meals. Each day a very nice buffet breakfast is included. After that, with one lunch provided, you are on your own. The Hilton in which we were located is about a $25 cab ride away from the really fun part of Reykjavik, where it is easy to walk around to sites and restaurants. We found out that about 30 other Viking cruisers were staying there. We never got a choice! The tours were not optional, and we took one each day. Our favorite was to the Blue Lagoon..Iceland's gem of a thermal pool experience. Then, we had to take 2 flights to get to Bergen which was a rather long and chaotic event. However,I found out that there was a direct flight to Bergen, which some were on. Not sure, but maybe you had to buy premium air from Viking to get that. So, no more extension purchases from Viking. I will make my own way to the next ship. -Bergen was where we boarded the beautiful Viking Sea ship. It is a lovely ship with many interesting appointments. Our cabin class was the V1 which means very low. I had asked for DV-1 but my Viking advisor suggested I step down in the event an upgrade is available. Well, of course, no upgrade but I have to say ,the cabin was just fine. We normally don't spend much time in the cabin-but one problem I wasn't aware of is that you are last in line to pick optional excursions. My wish list was useless because all trip I wanted were sold out. Again, it all worked out because even though we got all afternoon included excursions, we like that we didn't have to rush out early or rush back for lunch. And, if I really pursued it, I could have added on some of those wish list items. Make sure you book your included tours, as those get filled up too. The same applies to choice of dining specialty restaurants. You could only reserve on ship, which I did without any problem. People are always cancelling and changing. -We had a pretty good itinerary going to the Norway fjords. Be prepared, as these are very remote areas, with rugged terrain. I saw many cruisers with sneakers, but I am ever so happy that I wore my hiking boots. We did have some wet & cold weather so I got very good use out of my coat which was wind/water repellent and had a fleece lining. We were scheduled for 3 At-Sea days. They morphed into 4 when we lost a port due to having to slow down in very rough North Sea waves. The Midnight Sun excursion was a blessing because we had clear weather. Imagine you are the farthest North in Europe and it was a nice day. But coming back down towards the UK we got into more rough seas. The captain did a great job keeping us safe. Our later stops were the Orkneys, Edinburgh and London. All good, but would have loved more time in Edinburgh but captain had to cut shore for some nautical reason. Again, he has our best interests in mind. -Embarkation in Bergen was nice and easy. Luggage in our room very quick. Even our low rated V status worked out because we didn't get out of the airport and to the ship until 3 PM -our scheduled time to board. Leaving from London was fine, it was a long bus ride through London traffic but we have plenty of time. Got to Heathrow with 3 hours to spare. -Would I go again on Viking? Well, they run a good cruise, have great staff and all the fun things like great food, nice comfortable leisure areas and lovely bars stand out. However, I found the fellow cruisers to be rather unfriendly. Someone pointed out that may have to do with the seating not being assigned at meals. Also, many folks seem to have connections from the River Cruises they have taken. The entertainment was pretty weak except for the lounges had nice live music. There were various lectures scheduled but again, very academic topics. The few food/wine events were additional $$$. The only group game was a Trivia contest. There were plenty of fun electronic board games and a great scrabble set. But not much to bring folks together. I assume that's probably what people want, but I like more social events.

My Viking Ocean cruise did not disappoint or bedazzle me

Viking Sea Cruise Review by neelique

Thank you for the opportunity to share my opinion of this trip.

neelique’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sea price drops

A typical cabin for 2 in the non luxury class-but it had a nice balcony. It had a nice king bed and great pillows and linens. There were 3 drawers and an open space. I pack with cubes, so my stuff fit fine. Hubby had the large drawer and the open space to put his things. He also used the top of the closet. We had plenty of hangers and space to hang our coats. If you are a light sleeper don't take this one, as you can hear the band playing in the Torvsham lounge. It did not really bother me, and my husband wears ear plugs. The bathroom is very nice with plenty of space on sink area to keep things organized.