3. Carnival Inspiration
I have never really been that interested in a cruise, yet my aging mother wanted to go on one and this seemed like the easiest way to try a short, relatively inexpensive cruise. I love Mexico, and generally would rather go there and spend time doing and seeing things there, not on a boat. With very rare exception, I give the Carnival folks a 5/5 for attitude and training -- from booking to debarkation, everyone was very helpful and kind. My mother has mobility issues and gets a little confused now and then -- the room we received was perfect, close to the center of the ship, customer service and the embarkation ramp. The booking agent knew exactly what she was doing. The dock staff helped her on with a wheelchair, even though we did not use one during the trip. When I was out of the room, and got up from a nap and got a little lost, forgetting her key, the crew got her back with no trouble. The cabin was smallish, but it was fine -- it was all we needed, and the beds were comfortable. The food was generally good, with one exception. On the first night, we ate at our assigned dining room and it was not good -- everything was steamed -- floppy calamari, squishy steak, lukewarm lava cake with melted ice cream. Honestly, I wasn't going to say anything, I just figured that was what it was. The hamburger we had eaten at the burger stand was so much better, I figured we could find good enough food. I decided to mention my disappointment, and the staff from the Pride dining room urged us to try again. I am so glad I did. The next two nights' dinners were great, and waiters Jovaneh and Octavian were the best. We just got a team's bad day the first night. Another highlight for us was the comedy show, specifically Jodi White -- both the family and adult shows. The other comic, her husband Dale, was also very good. We went every night to at least one comedy show. We had a good day in Ensenada. I would not put it near the top of the list of Mexican cities I like to visit, but it was OK for a day trip and a little goofy souvenir shopping. I am not sure I am going to be going on a lot of cruises in the future, yet based on the high quality of service from this Carnival crew I would definitely try it again.

Good first cruise experience -- more like 4.5