CYBER MONDAY DEALS! Get discounts on top-rated cruises. View Deals

Greyfriers Kirkyard, Edinburgh
Greyfrars Kirkyard
Greyfriars
Edinburgh Castle

We sailed on The Brilliance in 2006 through the Mediterranean and had fond memories of both ship and ports. It’s been a decade since we’ve cruised and my husband, son and I had often mentioned visiting the UK and visiting an old friend who lives in Stirling, Scotland. Now that we are both retired, the trip seemed long overdue.

We booked in September of 2017 and it loomed large for months! Now, we've come to the end of this wonderful trip so I hope I can help others with this review of the ports. I'll pick up where I left off, at the end of our trip and then go back and review each port....

Last week:

Ocean View Balcony

Cabin 2D

This cabin is very comfortable and quiet. We’re just one floor below the Windjammer so we often grabbed a quick bite(too many!) to enjoy on our balcony. Our young adult son was quite comfortable on the fold out bed, which we kept open throughout the cruise, and it didn’t impede our mobility. Having the balcony is paramount, as it extends your living space and provides a place for privacy on occasion.

There was plenty of storage space and our steward, Alejandro was both accommodating and clever, creating some extraordinary towel critters...including a bat suspended from our ceiling!

Port Reviews

Amsterdam

We LOVED AMSTERDAM! Beautiful and easy to navigate, we could have used another day here to visit more in town and the surrounding countryside. I’ve included more info in my main review.

Edinburgh (South Queensferry)

Dockside shuttle was very convenient and reasonably priced at £6 each, round trip.

We spent 5 hours exploring Edinburgh, shopping, and eating.

Greenock (Glasgow)

Loved this port as it was the reunion spot in which to meet up with an old, and wonderful friend, who took us on a whirlwind tour, including The Kelpies, Falkirk Wheel, Stirling Castle, Stirling Bridge, Cisco’s Cafe(her family’s cafe in Stirling) and a quick visit to her home before a scenic, wild ride back to the ship! Wow!

St. Peter Port (Guernsey)

Easy port, cute, scenic town. We visited a Wwll formerly Nazi-occupied bunker.

Dover

Gorgeous cliffs and a castle looming over the town made for a great day! This castle was fantastic, lots to see and all very accessible. The people who worked here were lovely and had a lot of info to share.

The scenery is extremely photo-worthy!

Holyhead

Cute port, but not a lot to do. If we weren’t so tired from previous ports, we would have booked something here, but all tours offered seemed to take all day, and we were looking forward to a little rest.

I kicked around town a little, then returned to the ship and had a nice jacuzzi, instead of taking a

6 Helpful Votes