Island Princess Cruise Review

Island Princess Cruise Review by virginiasenior

• Sail Date: Jun 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview

We were on the Island Princess starting on 6/6/2018. We started in whittier and ended in Vancouver. We also did 5 days of the land tour which was absolutely terrific. We had wonderful weather except for Skagway and part of the morning in Vancouver. We had such wonderful views of Denali and have some great photos to show off to everyone. I, unfortunately, took most of my pictures from my phone vertically and certainly which I had taken more of them landscape, especially the videos. I'm going to blame this on a new phone and just plain exhaustion (of the good kind).

Princess was amazing. We were always impressed with how organized everything was and that the suitcases always arrived at our next destination withut a hitch. The Island Princess was just wonderful. The cabin was much larger than we expeced since it was a cabin with a window with plenty of storage and closet space. However, our last cruise in the 90's was so small that anything larger would be appreciated. The food in the buffet and the dining rooms was very delicious. I was told that they did not use MSG in their food and I was skeptical; but since I never had an issue, I would have to believe them now. Of course, I shyed away from some things that usually have it in like soups just to be sure.

I appreciated all of the steps they took to try to minimize the sperad of germs such as the sinks outside the buffets and making sure no one went back for food with a dirty plate. I did see a server stop a lady that was going to do this. Unfortunately, I started with a sore throat on our flight home and it went into a full blown cold. Of course, we were at plenty of places to pick up germs - planes and airbuses (metro), buses and stores among the worst.

We took a few of the Princess tours and one private float plane with Island Wings in Ketchikan. We enjoyed all of them. In Juneau, we did the Mendenhall Glacier (where we saw three cubs in a tree), Glacier Gardens (which is so beautiful and everyone so friendly) and Salmon Hatchery. In Skagway, we took the White Pass train ride. We were encouraged to do this by Northernlights at the roll call and so glad we did. I didn't want to leave the outside platform even though it was raining and cold enough to see my breath. Brrr. We also walked around town and took the bus to the Gold Miners Cemetery and Reid Falls. The Island Wings float ride was wonderful. The owner/pilot, Michelle, was so interesting and we all had seats with a window. The views from Misty Fjords were spectacular. We would recommend this to anyone.....

virginiasenior's Full Rating Summary

Oceanview
Cabin OE p617

Excellent cabin. More roomy than we expected. The view was wonderful (even from the mirror).

Previous school teacher as tour guide so very imformative. We did not have much time in Anchorage.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
White Pass Scenic Railway

So exciting and just a wonderful experience to learn about the gold rush time period.

View All 1212 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
Gardens/Hatchery

The gardens were terrific riding through a rain forest up so high. The flowers were beautiful and the gift center/refreshment area very interesting and friendly. I enjoyed learning abouit the salmon life cycle and touring the facility.

View All 69 Gardens/Hatchery Reviews
Mendenhall Glacier

Very intersting but sad to hear the details of the glacier shrinking at 400 feet a year. We got to see three cubs in a tree. Of course, we had to stay a distance away from them to be safe.

View All 971 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
Ketchikan

We went on a float plan ride with Island Wings of the Misty Fjords. It was spectacular.

virginiasenior