3. Adventure of the Seas
Check in was busy but organised. Windjammer restaurant was so full I picked up some pizza from the Cafe promenade on deck 5 and sat in the Imperial Lounge at the front of the ship until the cabins we're ready. Not many people had found this lounge. As I was on my own for this cruise, with a hand luggage case, I couldn't really go far until I got rid of my case, so annoying you cannot drop stuff off in your cabin. At 1.30 a lady appears by the cabins and said they were not quite ready but we could get in. Well, having seen them turn them around on changeover days in minutes, I'm not quite sure why they weren't all ready! My gripes. No cereal at cafe promenade nor the diamond lounge. I had to literally walk to the back of the ship in the Windjammer to get some cereal. No weetabix although the they did look for me. No orange juice at Cafe promenade either. Not a very good advert for continental breakfast. However, it's the first cruise for a long time that I've been on where they haven't run out of orange, probably because it was hard to find! Guest services basically said tough! As I was literally at the front of the ship and Orange juice and cereal at the back, I ordered room service for breakfast. Orange juice varied in thickness and sometimes items were missing but very nice people. Food in the Windjammer was good, but unfortunately cold at dinner time. They were always 5 minutes late opening for lunch and dinner and clearly food had been left out to get cold. I found going about 20 minutes later was best as they had bought fresh hot food out by then. Being a diamond member now has certain perks. However, it is disappointing that I had to ask for my free welcome gift for 2 days! Also had to ask for dressing gown and toiletries. Was handy that I could book excursions with the diamond Concierge, Christopher who was fabulous. Also enjoyed the complimentary behind the scenes theatre tour. Shows were disappointing. One night there wasn't a main show. The Elton John tribute act sounded nothing like him. The show was 7pm yet they kept letting people in at 7.30 pm which was very annoying keep moving to left people past. They should close the doors and remind people of the times, after after all, there was a later show! The comedian on the last night was very good. Cabin was lovely at the front of the ship, tucked away down a short corridor. Good views out front. Cabin steward was excellent. Although some aspects were disappointing, the service always stands out on Royal C and I love the layout of the ships and the activities during the day and eveing. I went for the ports on this cruise and was not disappointed. The flow rider is excellent, rock climbing wall, sports court, table tennis, swimming pools, jacuzzi. The soft serve ice cream was good fun. Johnny Rockets nice place to go for small cover charge. They have added water shutes which overhang the ship - scary but fun. So much for people of all ages to do. Portland, Maine, USA - plenty of local sight seeing tours and far cheaper than the Ships tours. It was a very long walk off the ship over the walkway bridges just to get to the pier but plenty of shops. Tourist information very helpful. I took the local trolley tour of the city and lighthouse for $28 - ship was charging $55. Not many restrooms in Portland, was directed to the coffee shop over the road. Even the lighthouse park only had porta loos. Bar Harbor USA - not sure there was a need to drop the anchor at 5.30am. Seriously, the noise would have woken the dead! Let's be honest it was so cold and pouring with rain that nobody in their right mind would claw off the ship at that time! An hour and a half later would have been sufficient. Ten minute tender ride in the local touring boats took me shore. Lovely restaurant on the pier and restrooms. Main shops literally just over the road. The shop on the pier was selling tours. I had opted for a Ship tour here to Acadia National Park. The time was changed twice since I booked before I left the UK. Unfortunately the weather was not good. The rain and cloud had set in by the time we got to the top of Cadillac mountain. Really a good guide would have gone straight up there and then toured around the park on the way down! The wind was biting at the top! St John, New Brunswick, Canada - docked right next to port (on the right side of the ship) although still quite a long weaving walkway off. Just outside the terminal building (restrooms in the building) is a white tent selling a wide variety of souvenirs and TAX free. They accept US or Canadian dollars. I didn't see any local tours unless they were further outside. Inside the building they were selling the same tours as on the Ship and they added the m to your Ship account. I purchased a 1 hour 15 minute trolley tour which goes around the city and to the reversing Rapids. I have to say it was way overpriced at $49 and was not value for money. It was the same price as the HOHO and I suspect that was better value. The Rapids were nothing special. I guess it depends on the time of day you visit but it's just fast flowing water, really not that big a deal as the hype! The zip wire over the Rapids was actually to the side of it and not over them. Halifax, Nova Scotia - port was on the left hand side of the ship. Nice view of a lighthouse to the right of the ship. Terminal building has lots of stalls which you pay in both Canadian or USD. They did say to check if you get USD back in change though. I booked the Ships' Peggy's Cove and Titanic tour. Lots of buses as clearly a very popular tour. It took half an hour to get on a bus. Eventually we left and went to the cemetery first. Our guide told some stories about some of those who died on the Titanic and showed us their graves and headstones. It was a long ride (45 mins) to Peggy's Cove. Nice views of the lighthouse and fishing village there. Of course there is a gift shop there too with nice clean restrooms. You can pay in USA or Canadian dollars but only get Canadian dollars back if you pay in USD. Disembarkation - I booked a tour and airport drop off and had to meet at 8.30 although the advertised time said 9.30. They explained in the lounge that this was to allow time to get off the ship, go through customs and get luggage. In reality it took 10 minutes to get off the ship. Tour was good, spent a lot of time in traffic as NY is a nightmare for vehicles. After just over an hour, we stopped to view the 9/11 memorial and local area for around an hour. The rest of the tour was driving past the sights including Central Park. We dropped off at 2 airports and eventually got to JFK.

Great trip around USA and Canada

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by custard75

custard75’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 8N 6508
Lovely cabin right at the front on the ship. Tucked away up the corner down a corridor. Never heard anybody walking past as I normally do further up the ship. Good view out the front. There was a notice on the window saying the captain can't see after dark due to the reflection so have to keep curtain as shut after sun set. Would have been handy to know before I booked.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Acadia National Park
    Spent an hour driving round park late afternoon so time we got to the top it was so cold, wet and foggy
    View All 201 Acadia National Park Reviews
  • Peggy's Cove
    Good tour but a bit disorganised getting people on buses etc. Kept changing tour times on this one too. 45 min drive between the cemetery and Peggy's cove. Night lighthouse at the Cove and views great. The cemetery was very interesting with the guide telling us some stories of those who died on the Titanic.
    View All 206 Peggy's Cove Reviews
  • Trolley Tour
    Booked locally ashore as half the price. Good city tour and lighthouse - and you could also do the boat tour but I didn't have time.
    View All 19 Trolley Tour Reviews
  • Trolley Tour
    Poor value for an hour and 15 minutes and reversing rapid as just a bit of fast flowing water, very disappointing
    View All 16 Trolley Tour Reviews