3. Emerald Destiny
Everything and More. I am generally not a cruise person, my wife and I have been on two previous ocean cruises and while I enjoyed them there were aspects that I was not happy with. This was our first River cruise and I thought that we would give it a try and see if it was any different than our previous experiences. After being on the Emerald Destiny we will absolutely be going on more. Our first surprise was when we were checking in, we were informed that we had been upgraded from our original Grand Balcony Suite to an Owners Suite. The new room was gorgeous with a large amount of space, including a sitting area and walk in closet. We were able to look at the room that we had originally booked and found it to also be a very good room however, smaller. Every member of the crew was friendly, courteous and happy to help us out with anything that we wanted. In particular, our cabin steward greeted us every morning with a smile and a Good Morning and asked if there was anything that he could get us. One of the classiest things that the cruise did was to introduce all of the crew to the passengers during the closing night meal. The ship wanted you to think of the crew as your family and they certainly did that. We found the food on the ship to generally be of the highest quality and with a reasonable variety. Breakfast was a buffet with a station where eggs could be ordered to your liking. Lunch was served in two locations, the main restaurant and in the lounge. Both locations had a buffet component (the lounge smaller however) and in the main restaurant there was also a main component that could be ordered a-la-cart. After the big breakfast that we ate, we generally ate in the lounge as there were less crowds and it served just what we wanted. Dinner consisted of your choice of two options for every course (these were different every day), as well as an always available steak, chips, fish and other standard fare. In general I loved the food, it was varied and very flavorful, however, there were a couple of inconsistencies. In one instance, a steak ordered by a dinner companion came “well done” when it was ordered “medium rare” (another steak the next night came perfectly cooked). For me I found one of the pieces of Weiner Schnitzel that I had order to be over cooked and dry. Even with these errors I rate the food on the trip very high. One of the highlights on the trip for us was the friendliness of the other passengers and how easy it was to engage with them. The seating arrangement in the dining room makes it almost impossible for people not to engage with each other. We met a number of new friends on this trip. The makeup of the passengers is generally an older crowd with most from England with some from Canada, and a smattering of other locations. Each day there was an included walking tour of the current stop. The tour guides were exceptionally knowledgeable and able to answer any questions that we asked. Given the number of people that went on these tours we were broken into smaller more manageable groups (generally 10 – 50 individuals per group), and on some stops one group was specifically designated for individuals who wanted a more “gentle” tour. Even the regular tours were not taxing we saw and learned a lot of local history and sites. In addition to the included tours there were optional tours for the active/healthy crowd as well as the special Vienna Concert. We went on the concert trip and I found it to be one of the highlights of the cruise. The ship is only a little over a year old and is gorgeous. One of the unique aspects is the pool. A number of people, including my wife, would go to the pool to cool off and relax after one of our tours. I could go on and on about how good this cruise was but I have to stop somewhere. Were there some disappointments on the cruise, yes (the weather was not the best and we did not get to enjoy the balcony as much as we would have liked), but the real telling statement is that I want to book another cruise with Emerald again.

Everything you could want in a River Cruise