3. Sea Princess
We sailed on 1 May from Sydney and after Brisbane visited Fiji, then American Samoa, the Hawaiian Islands, the Tahitian islands, New Zealand, back to Sydney, 35 days in total. I loved the cruise and found the crew fantastic. They could not do enough for you and were always bright and cheerful. Our steward, Milbert, was excellent, friendly but courteous. The ship seems to have Art Deco decor that is very pleasing. There was a constant program of activities such as trivia, carpet bowls, enrichment sessions, presentations on the ports that we were visiting, hula dance classes, ukelele lessons, shopping sessions, art auctions, presentations by various health and beauty experts and much more. So there was no excuse to be bored. Rowena gave great talks on Hawaii and Kay Taylor seemed to give daily presentations for which she had done a huge amount of research on ports that we were to visit and many others as well. The entertainment was excellent - movies and films of concerts on the top deck and also current movies in the theatre. Each night there were 2 shows - 7.45 pm and 9.45 pm. These were mostly very good although some acts were not terrific . The in-house troupe I found excellent. The theatre filled up so we usually had to go 15-30 minutes before the show started to get a reasonable seat. We ate in Traviata - any time dining. We would have a drink at one of the bars, go to dinner about 7 or 7.30 then onto a show in the theatre. As we said , at home there would be no way that we could do that every night so that was special. WE especially like listening to the Marjdor Duo and watching couples dancee, usually before and after going to a show. Some people complained about the food but we found it terrific. Huge platters of smoked salmon at breakfast and a wide range of other items, both hot and food and heaps of desserts in the buffet and mostly good a la carte offerings in the 2 dining rooms. One night we ate in the Italian restaurant Corniche and it was OK if you just wanted pizza. If you did not like what you ordered waiters were only too happy to get you something else. The pastry chefs and curry makers were particularly good. We had 5 formal nights when the food was particularly special - lobster, filet mignon etc and the souffles and frozen souffles were superb. I have been on other cruise ships that had norovirus go across the ship but this did not happen on this ship. I was delighted to see that there are wash stations at the buffet and most people were diligent about using them. The coffee, whether room service or in the buffet or in the restaurant was poor in my opinion so we bought coffee cards in order to be able to buy an espresso each day. Well worth while. I always took the stairs, never the lifts, and actually lost weight on the cruise. Many people only took the lifts. Unfortunately my partner had an accident early on and his whole cruise was compromised due to his inability to walk without pain. The doctor on the ship was excellent, as were the nurses all of whom attended to me when I came down with 'flu and was put in isolation (fortunately that was on sea days.) Several people were coughing from the beginning of the cruise so I was not surprised that I got sick. The airconditioning was very cold especially in the theatres and I needed a warm wrap each night. There seems to be a laundry and ironing board on each deck and you simply swipe your sea pass to use the washer and dryer (iron is free). We heard of arguments and more or less avoided it, washing out daily in the stateroom and deciding to use everything we had packed and do a major wash on our return home. Some booked ship's excursions were disappointing - the trip on "le truc" in Bora Bora was very bad for us - we were at the back and were badly bounced around and my partner's knee was injured even more - it seems like it is a new Mercedes body on a wooden chassis with little to no rear suspension -I was most upset and cross about this. And we had the briefest of stops at Matira beach and a long stop at sarong making and sales - oh no - the beauty of Bora Bora lies in the wonderful lagoon - what a let down this was for us and on our return we had to go back to the ship - no time at all to go back to the beach - I will never be able to return and am so sad about that. The island tour in Pago Pago I found so so with only little information coming from the guide. The glass bottom boat trip in Kona was brief and very close to the coast so I did not find any of what we saw very impressive. In Honolulu, after a good ship's tour of the eastern end of the island and the magnificent Pali (mountains) we took ourselves to the fabulous iconic Royal Hawaiian hotel for lunch and had the original Trader Vic's recipe mai tais in the Mai Tai bar almost on Waikiki - what a thrill - and then we moved to lunch at a table right next to the sand - lovely. That was a highlight. Other highlights were Moorea for the drama and romance of the sharp volcanic peaks and the beauty of the lagoons and crystal clear water in Bora BOra. We could not go to Hilo due to the volcano and instead had an extra day in Papeete - that was great and suited us well. We also could not go to Bay of Islands (NZ) due to weather and that was most disappointing especially as we then took 3 days not 2 to cross the Tasman. I hope this helps. We found the cruise almost too long for us and were happy to go home. But it was the only cruise we could find that started and ended in AUstralia and included a reasonable length of time in Hawaii and Tahiti. The cabin (we had a balcony on deck 9 was well located (near the sites) and quiet but we found it cramped and smaller that we had on Celebrity.

Fabulous crew excellent food

travelbuzzforever’s Full Rating Summary
Get Sea Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC C737
This is towards the stern - our travel agent suggested it, saying that as it was near the suites it would be sure to be good. It was a good location. It was quiet, little passing traffic. I also found that we had no noise at all of people slamming doors which I have had on other cruise lines. It had a balcony but it felt very cramped. My partner and I asked for single beds but as he is tall he found his too short but our steward right away put an insert at the head and that made it long enough. Comfortable beds, pillows and lovely bed linen. Towels changed twice daily it seems. Room serviced twice daily. Room service very prompt.The balcony was lovely - so nice to sit there with a book in the sun and watch the flying fish when we ere near the equator.Steward Milbert was excellent.
The cabin is not under any public rooms and that is most important. That way you eliminate noise. I chose a very expensive stateroom that happened to be under the pool deck on another cruise line and was kept awake every night by people running. Not so with this cabin - it was a good choice.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• "Le Truck" Island Tour
    FAR TOO brief time at the best spot, Matira beach - far too long at sarong shop, Bloody Mary's far too crowded with multiple buses there at the same time - I should have taken a taxi and stayed at Matira Beach and enjoyed the lagoons which is what Bora Bora is about
    View All 28 "Le Truck" Island Tour Reviews
  • Pali Outlook
    fabulous to be on pali, lovely eastern island views, excellent informative guide
    View All 15 Pali Outlook Reviews
  • Belvedere Lookout
    fabulous - great guise comfortable bus wonderful views - what a terrific island - romantic and those marvellous volcanic mountain - if Bali hai ever existed, this should be it
    View All 10 Belvedere Lookout Reviews