Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by svandermeulen

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Spacious Ocean View Balcony

My wife and I decided to go on the 7 Night Scandinavia And Russia Cruise. It was awesome!!! The ship, while a little on the dated side, was clean and the crew was fantastic. We had an Aft facing Cabin on Deck 8 and it was very nice. As ours was on a corner (8168), we had a little bigger balcony. There is plenty of storage in the cabin. Our TV had issues, but they worked to get it fixed quickly. The bathroom is small but bigger than I expected.

We did "My Time" dining but only ate in the Reflection dining room on the Formal Nights and one breakfast. If you want to wear a tux, I recommend renting on from RC prior to the cruise. No need to pack one. The meals in the Reflection was very good. I think they could have added a little more variety, but what we had was very tasty. The service for dinners was fantastic. They even brought us out a special dessert for our anniversary!!!! The breakfast in the Reflection was not very good. They throw you at a table and the service was very, very slow. When we got our food it was not very warm. The rest of our dinners were in the Windjammer, which was very good as buffets go. My wife figured out that Room Service is very cheap ($9.50)!! We ended up doing Room Service for our breakfasts which helped on Excursion days.

We spent quite a few evenings in the Pub. They had excellent service and one of my favorite beers. The singer most nights did requests and we did a lot of sing alongs with the rest of the audience. We did watch one show in the main theater. It was nice but not memorable.

Excursions were very good. The only one that was disappointing was in Stockholm. Due to the drought they were having we could not go into the canals (not RC fault). So we just cruised around the main channel. The tour guide did a great job. We then were supposed to take a bus tour of old town, but due to construction, we ended up sitting in traffic. Very disappointed. The Tallinn Old Town and Beer tour is very good. They mark it as "Strenuous" but it is not for us mid 50 year olds. Saint Petersburg was very good. We did the Grand Petersburg and Hermitage. We were lucky as we were the second tour into the Hermitage that day. Saw a lot of the city and they take you shopping at a big tourist trap place. Prices were good though, but get in line early to pay and stand your ground. A lot of line cutting. Helsinki was also good. We did the Town Tour and Ice Bar. Both were great. All in all, if I had to do it over again, I would do Stockholm on our own but the others were good to be on a tour (it is required in Saint Petersburg unless you have a tourist visa).

Getting on and off the boat was very easy. Embarkation Day, we had a very smooth experience, but don't expect your bag brought to your cabin. Ours were way down the corridor from our cabin. We had very little issues on Excursions days getting on and off the boat. We only had one long line and that was in Saint Petersburg. On our return to Copenhagen, things went so smoothly, we were off the boat and in a cab in about 30 minutes. I highly recommend having your bags handled going off the ship (unless you are traveling light). The elevators are packed so you have to lug everything down stairs. We only had to go from 8 to 4 to our waiting area and then down to two but it was still a workout lugging our small bags.

I was very pleased with this cruise. We are going on a Christmas Cruise with RC on the Jewel of the Seas. We are looking forward to it.

svandermeulen's Full Rating Summary

Spacious Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 2B 8168

Cabin was very nice. We had an aft-facing cabin. It was good on this cruise but I could see where it would be hot to sit out there on a warm climate cruise. It was great star gazing. Bathroom was small but bigger than I expected. Plenty of storage (I had to lift the bed to get our bags under it.). We had an issue with the TV but they handled it.

Copenhagen

I had been to Copenhagen a couple of times before so we explored the city on our own. We had a great canal boat tour. Take the one down the harbor a little bit (not at base of harbor). They were great. Went to Tivoli Gardens which is very nice.

Stockholm Old Town Tour

The canals were low due to the drought, but they did a good job in the harbor anyway. Bus Tour was bad as we basically sat in traffic. I told my wife, "If I wanted to sit in traffic, I would have stayed in Houston". Neither were RC fault.

View All 54 Stockholm Old Town Tour Reviews
City Tour

We saw a lot of sites. Very informative tour guide

View All 378 City Tour Reviews
Hermitage Museum

If you can get on the first bus, do so!!! It was worth it as we were the second tour in. It gets very crowded once they open to the public.

View All 377 Hermitage Museum Reviews
St. Isaac's Cathedral

Very nice tour. Beautiful Cathedral. The model of how they build it was pretty interesting.

View All 113 St. Isaac's Cathedral Reviews
Old Town of Tallinn

Great guide and nice beer tasting. We walked back to the ship which was quite easy.

View All 189 Old Town of Tallinn Reviews
City Tour

Very informative guide.

View All 193 City Tour Reviews
Winter Wonderland

Fun place. Sled dogs were so excited to show off.

View All 21 Winter Wonderland Reviews