3. Westerdam
This was the only one that had a land package available with three days in Denali at the time we booked. We would have preferred a smaller ship. The ship had three maintenance issues during the cruise.The first was the PA system was broken. The boat drill was a disorganized. Another was for, as the captain explained, to fix the breaks. The other would shut off the air conditioning for four hours (not a problem in Alaska). The restaurant served average bland food. When you order seafood, it is mostly foreign imports. The frozen fish and meat is standard fare. All is cooked to a bland person's liking. Nothing was savory of juicy. We tried the 3 "special restaurants", which were just as bland and boring. The Alaskan King Crab legs was the only locally sourced seafood I had, which was good, with a tiny amount of drawn butter. The side of creamed spinach was like baby food. I always had to ask for a take-up plate for shells and a seafood fork. You had to ask for salt and pepper also. They must have a shortage. The full service restaurant was not always available for lunch and if you did not make a reservation for the empty specialty restaurant, you would have to eat at the food toughs. My husband ordered a baked potato and he got a 1/2 of a baked potato upside-down on a plate. There are no rib eye steaks. The shore excursions were hit or miss. I would not do anything that involves a family style dinner or show again. Food was barely shared and you had to beg for someone to pass it down. This include dinner shows, wagon rides & ATV rides. The wagon and ATV rides are in the same place with two dirty outhouses to use without running water. We enjoyed the river rafting in Denali and the hike/canoe to the Davidson Glacier. The outhouses were the worst ever at the Davidson Glacier. The room where the enrichment talks was open to the Explorers' Lounge where there are bar blenders making noise for drinks and people milling about. The lectures were good and well worth going to. I found many of guests on this ship had a lack of manors, hygiene (using hand sanitizer at the restaurants) and talked in an "outdoor voice". We ended up catching a cold from a man who coughed directly on my head during a bus trip. I would go back to Alaska again because it is totally awesome. I just would not go on a large ship ever again.

Good cruise for those who have not had better

Westerdam Cruise Review by hummingbirddragon

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

hummingbirddragon’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Westerdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VB 5053
The cabin lacks electrical outlets for charging many devices. No plug for a CPAP near bed. Take a gang outlet if you choose this cabin. The balcony is large, but the angle on the next cabin's balcony towards the aft had us staring at our neighbor wearing his bathrobe. Not really a private balcony. Also the view is partially obstructed towards the aft because of the angle. I wish they would make the chairs not make the grinding sound when moved, but I guess they would slide all over. I would of rather had drawers to put all of my clothes in instead of shelves. I hung most of my clothes and left the rest in packing cubes, which was not a problem. There is no coffee maker in the room. The mini fridge was never restocked. The hairdryer was really lame and took forever to dry my hair. The shower curtain sticks to you and the water drains slowly in the tub/shower. The tub looks old. The water is scalding, so make sure you set the temperature with the right knob before getting in! The right knob is the the temperature setting and the left is the pressure.
Observation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Wilderness Safari
    Wonderful trip out to the Davidson Glacier via a ferry, bus, hike and canoe. The worst outhouses ever. It is a long hike to the Glacier in rubber boots they provide. It over rocks. Snack was provided before the trip to the Glacier.
    View All 6 Wilderness Safari Reviews
  • Best of Juneau
    The Mendenhall Glacier Park stop was not long enough to hike some of the wonderful trails. It is a beautiful park. The Glacier Gardens is a beautiful rain forest with a trip to the top. There is a large gift shop. We spent too much time spent waiting in the gift shop area to leave after the tour. The fish were not running yet, so the hatchery was not doing much. There are some interesting aquariums with strange sea creatures and a mandatory gift shop. They did sell salmon jerky. The bus driver that narrated the whole tour was good and would point out eagles and other things we would have missed.
    View All 50 Best of Juneau Reviews
  • Cultural Tour
    Our bus driver/guide was from Utah, but seemed to have studied up for this job. The bus speakers went out, but another bus was brought to replace it. The speaker at the totem museum was a native Alaskan who knew the history of the totems and customs of the people. Potlatch Park had old cars in a barn, which was not explained. The gift shop was very large and sold native and not native products.
    View All 10 Cultural Tour Reviews