Marella Discovery Cruise Review

Complete waste of money

Marella Discovery Cruise Review by susan450

• Sail Date: Jun 2018
  • Destination: the Arctic

Just arrived back from Midnight Sun Cruise with Discovery. This was the worst cruise we have ever been on and I have been on many all over the world. Hurricane Hectar changed our plans and we headed for a safe port. I totally understand this. What I don't understand that when the hurricane passed, we headed south instead of north. I was not alone in thinking this. Many people I spoke to would have gladly given up a port to enable the ship to go to the northern cape. I did not book an expensive holiday to cruise the fjords for nearly 13 days. I booked to go to the northern cape. 5 trips were cancelled and one of those was a rearranged trip by Marella. It seems to me they took an easy option visiting ports that they were familiar with. We were gutted we did not reach the northern cape etc. We were fed up of seeing virtually indistinguishable port after port. Our mantra became...repeat, repeat...Mountains, repeat, waterfalls, repeat, god forsaken town, repeat, tacky souvenir shops, repeat. We were totally bored even though we went on trips every day. They misrepresented how difficult some of the trips were. What they classed as moderate walking to the foot of a glacier was supposed to take 45 minutes of moderate walking. Haha, We are both fit and it took well over an hour of steep uphill walking. Many of the passengers struggled with this and did not make it to see the glacier. Some passengers were struggling to breathe.There were other trips like this. The weather was also not good. A very disappointing cruise and we felt did not justify the cost of it. A complete waste of time and money. So glad to be back home.

The food and waiting staff were very good.

susan450's Full Rating Summary