3. Norwegian Jewel
Like most people Alaska cruise is on your bucket list. We have been on 4 cruises with RC, the first 2 were good, then they got progressively worse. Good friends are NCL regulars so we went with them this time. The embarkation process was a nightmare. There were 3 ships leaving at the same time. We were herded like cattle from one waiting area to another. At check in they messed it all up, had to correct an error, never scanned my credit card, never told us about the $300 deposit. While going through security, I went through the scanner and then several people cut in front of my husband. He was next, right behind me!We finally get on the ship, try to get something to eat, waited 15-20 minutes and no one came in O'Sheehans to take out order. Our cabin steward had to be asked constantly to leave us cream for coffee and wine glasses. The best meal we had on the ship was Tapanyaki's. It was hot. The only hot meal we had, almost. The other hot meal was ChinChin but the noodles were so over cooked they tasted like paste. The second day there was a letter saying my account was frozen, I elected to pay cash? Never happened. They didn't scan my credit card at the port. So we had to go stand in line at customer service and fix it. The next day I got a text from my credit card for a $300 charge, again customer service line because no one told us this was going to happen. The customer service line was perpendicular to the desk. The line would get long and people would try to walk through the area. I suggested to several staff, turn the line parallel to the desk and people could walk past without a problem. I was told it was their policy to have it that way, dumb. The best part about the whole ship was the staff at Magnum's Champagne Bar and a couple of higher ups, Stephen Jacob, Teresa, Andrew. The buffet was always so packed, you'd get some food and walk the entire dinning area to find a seat! People would try to cut in line while waiting for an omelet. The food in Cagneys, La Cuchina, ChinChin, O'Sheehans were all disappointing. The Tsar's Palace was OK, Denny's level. The last night we ate at ChinChin and the next morning, my husband woke up at 5 am sweating, throwing up, diarrhea, and vertigo! We ended up taking him by wheel chair to the ship doctor Then taken off the ship by wheel chair! $780 later, we got to our hotel room, he slept, got some food in him and liquids and he recovered. The ship doctor wanted to call an ambulance and take him to the hospital, to avoid liability. The ports were disappointing, so commercial. Why are there so many jewelry stores every where?! My husband did a zipline in Skagway, Grizzly Falls. He liked it except they controlled the zipline. I snorkeled in Ketchikan and it was great! The whale watching in Juneau was over priced. Saw a couple whales tails. We stayed in Vancouver after the cruise and it's a beautiful city. Stayed on Robson Street at Times Square Inn and Suites. It was nice. So many restaurants in the area! There's a Safeway, liquor stores and a couple blocks to the water! Getting through customs to leave Canada, was a hassle. It's easier to come across the border from Mexico! Our next trip will be checking out the USA!

Last cruise for a long time!

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Flipper2005

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony
Flipper2005’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Balcony
Cabin BD 105560
Cabin was OK. A little smaller than Royal Carribeans.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins