Ovation of the Seas Cruise Review

Ovation of the Seas Cruise Review by fredrik92

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Junior Suite

I wanted to try cruising in Asia for a change and choose this cruise with Ovation of the Seas. I was on Quantum's maiden voyage in 2014, but hadn't been on the Quantum class since. It was nice to be back onboard.

Ship in general:

Ovation has a nice and familiar atmosphere onboard, although I do prefer the layout on the Oasis class ships comparing to this one. There are many fun activities onboard, although in Asia they put a charge on some of them (like the Ripcord and the North Star). However, I had to try the North Star since it was mostly closed when I went on Quantum and I really wanted to try it this time. I really recommend a trip in it, it's a really unique experience. Very special to see the ship from above while on the sea...

The Solarium area is great and it's also amazing that one of the main pool areas is with (removable) glass roof. In this case you preferred being there thanks to the AC, outside was simply too warm. In colder areas or rain it would also be appreciated. This is something Royal Caribbean should do on all their bigger ships.

Stateroom:

We had a Spa Junior Suite this time which was big and nice. The bathroom was great with both tub and a big shower with seat an light through a dimmed window to the livingroom. he balcony was a bit small, but we didn't use it much anyway because of the heat and humidity outside.

The TV system is generally good, and I do appreciate to be able to see my cruise account on the tv.

Royal caribbean recently started charging for room service except breakfast, I do not like this.

Dining:

Luckily for us we could dine in the Coastal Kitchen, which offered amazing service and great food. I'm very happy we didn't have to use the "main dining", which looked horrible with extreme ques just for choosing which restaurant you should be in (they all had the same, terrible, menu). So if you cruise from Hong Kong, do not stay in any other stateroom than Junior suite and up!

Entertainment:

The show's were average. Nothing very special about them.

Ports:

The first port was right in the middle of nowhere somewhere between Da Nang and Hui An. Bus to Da Nang took 1,5 h on not-so-good roads. Da Nang is a nice little town, though, as long as you get away from the tourists.

In Nha Trang the ship is about 40 min walk from central parts. But already after 20 min the 7 km beach starts and you can find some really nice and cheap sunchairs. We didn't visit the actual city this time but were fine with the beach and a visit to the Aquarium close to the harbour where the tender boats come and go.

Summary:

I liked cruising in this part of the world for a change and would like to go again sometime, especially to Japan. But, as I said, nothing below Junior suit if you don't want to fight for your meals.

I liked that most Asians respected the dress codes for Formal night, which the Europeans on Royal Carribean are horrible at.

I recommend the Quantum class for anyone who wants something different. But personally I do prefer the Oasis class when it comes to the bigger ships.

fredrik92's Full Rating Summary

Junior Suite
Cabin J3 11506

Long bus trip i. But the town is pretty if you just find your way away from the tourist crowds. With the tour you got some tickets to cultural buildings. Most of them were just tourist shops, but a few temples are nice if you just go a bit away from the places most tourists go.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Nha Trang

The ship is on tender. The beach is 7 km long and we were fine just going to the start of the beach to swim a bit in the sea. If you want to go to town you have three choices: the cruise company's bus, local taxis or walking. Tourists are not allowed on the local buses.

The city looks nice and there are probably a lot to do.

fredrik92