3. Emerald Destiny
Typically, we have chosen a more independent style of travel, but with everyone raving about river cruising we thought we would give it a try. Overall, this seemed to be a good company to cruise with. It is mostly all inclusive unless you want to drink all day long. Wine and beer are available at meals and there is no limit. Included activities are mostly walking tours, however you can also bike if desired. The tours are educational, but because the guides have to adjust to all health and walking levels they tended to be less vigorous than what I would want. This is not a fault of the company, and they did try to gently organize groups into like fitness levels. Overall, I did like this company to cruise with, but I came away with the feeling that river cruising was not for me. It is far too structured for my liking and there were days that I felt herded like cattle to get the walking tour over with, back onthe boat and eat again! My LEAST favourite part is the line up to get into the dining room at dinner. They want everyone there at the same time as their food service is very structured. I understand why this has to occur, but it makes for a very un-relaxed feel at dinner. The buffet at breakfast and lunch is average quality....nothing outstanding but always good. The layout for traffic flow needs to be improved.

First river cruise

Emerald Destiny Cruise Review by Retired travels

Retired travels’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Destiny price drops

I read on previous reviews to not waste your money on a balcony. And now I understand why! Many times we were docked right beside another boat, so your blinds are completely shut. If you want to see the world go by, it is best in the lounge or on deck ( when allowed to be there). The rooms are too small to enjoy the balcony, which is actually part of the room.
There is lots of space to unpack all your belongings.
Bathroom layout in cabin could be improved.