3. Caribbean Princess
This cruise was a surprise birthday present for me! I had been complaining about how we couldn't afford a cruise this year (we had to buy a lovely roof instead…) and my wonderful parents stepped up and made it possible! My parents are chronic cruisers who go 5-6 times a year - sometimes more (this year they’ll do 10!). They are the ones responsible for getting my family addicted as well! This cruise was selected with relaxation in mind. With three ports and four sea days, it's the perfect way to unwind and let someone else worry about making us happy - and did Princess pull through for us! With kids left behind grumbling about not going, my husband and I had our first vacation alone together in 10 years. Embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly. We had a balcony next to my parents and spent many hours reading and watching my favorite, mesmerizing reality show "Ocean Waves" on that balcony. I spent so many hours I received a nice sunburn sitting in the shade! Over all the ship was on good condition, we could definitely tell what had been refreshed and what still needed to be refreshed. The beds are sumptuously soft. The bathroom was clean, but definitely dated. Princess is trying to get up to snuff with technology. They have installed new TV's with current on-demand movies. Most of the time it worked – when it didn't, I figured out that if you rebooted the TV, it would reset and work fine. They also offer on board Wi-Fi which was spotty at best. They are still working out the kinks. While frustrating to passengers, I understand the problems with tech upgrades. Many people complained about not being able to connect to work (how very sad – work? On a vacation?). Once they get this nailed, it’ll be great to be able to message on board companions freely. The service was outstanding. Our room attendant, Allen was the happiest hard worker I've ever met. Every request was met with ninja efficiency. Every morning (and I am an early riser) his smiling face was the first I would see. His personality was infectious and utterly charming. He should be a game show host… Our wait staff was great as well. We had traditional dining where Richard and Alexander took great care of us. My parents are used to getting things “just so” and they accommodated their every whim. Our water glasses were never empty (my pet peeve) and their recommendations where never wrong. For breakfast my parents knew Michael in the main dining room from previous cruises and requested him every morning. He too took care of their “just so” requests along with his team mate Somsak. Again smiling, happy workers! Most of the bar tenders were ok. We found (and this is an important person to find on every cruise!) a great bartender, Topher, who made the best long island tea. Not too much sweet/sour or too much cola…just right. He was the first to learn our names and what we liked. We went out of our way to get our drinks from him – he tended up at the Tradewinds bar on deck 16. He also made some great suggestions on other drinks that we tried. The only “excursion” we did was to reserve the clam shell on Princess Cays. For my mom it was essential, for the rest of us, well, I spend more time in the beautiful water, bobbing like an apple. We went ashore in St Thomas and took a shuttle to Coki Beach for the best snorkeling ever (to date)! It was like floating in an aquarium. The fish are used to being fed biscuits so they are abundant. For more beauty, float around the rocks…such variety of colorful fish and coral! In St. Maartin we took a water taxi to Great Bay Beach and again did the bobbing apple routine. It was marvelous! The entertainment was pretty good too! We had the comedian Ronndell Smith on 2 nights – he is hilarious! I wished his set was longer. There was a great singer (eek! Can’t remember his name at present!). He energetically sang everything from Ray Charles to Michael Jackson. Most surprising, as I didn’t expect to enjoy it, was the production of Bravo! The show is touted as mixing opera with pop with the grace of ballroom. It delivered outstandingly. The opera pieces were easily recognizable, as were the pop selections – but the voices were amazing – stunning really. I’m getting goosebumps just remembering! It was phenomenal, beautiful and worth the price of admission anywhere. I watched The Black Panther, Thor, Ragnarok and Jumanji for Movies Under that Stars. It was nice! Attendants came around with popcorn that was better than AMC’s. Those movies would show up in on-demand the next day. The food in the main dining room was very good. I'm not picky, but my parents are and they were very happy with the food. The buffet is everything you expect a buffet to be. My husband prefers the buffet saying he likes all the different selections and he can eat whenever he wants. He always joined us for dinner and enjoyed that as well. I was very disappointed in the Salty Dog Grill. My burger was near cold as were the fries. Oh well, can’t be perfect at everything! The pizza was OK, I liked the Stromboli – it made for a small, quick, late night snack. We were treated to the Crown Grill by our travel agent. It was excellent. Husband had the filet and lobster tail (raved about it and he is a steak snob), my mom had the lamb chops (made yummy noises the whole time eating) and dad and I had perfectly cooked Chilean Sea Bass - ohhh such delicious bliss! The on board shopping seemed limited. The high-end nature of it turned me off. I’d rather have more souvenir type choices than department store selections. Do people really buy that much clothing on board? I love browsing jewelry I can’t afford though…and there was plenty of that. Overall, it was a fantastic cruise. Princess has always done an excellent job in my opinion. We hated to leave – but off to work so we can afford the next cruise…and the cruise after that!

Perfectly relaxing cruise!

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by ABliss

ABliss’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BE C219
If you can get a balcony on deck 10, they are a little bigger! If the big smooshy comforter is too much (especially in the warmer climates) you can request a blanket. The new, bigger TV's are great, the on-demand selection is very good. They were still working out connectivity issues when we were there. Carpeting and bathroom was dated, but clean!
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins