Carnival Paradise Cruise Review

Carnival Paradise - Western Caribbean

Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by cruise - aholic

• Sail Date: May 2003
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

Well this was our fist cruise... NOT IMPRESSED!!! If we hadn't met more experienced cruiser's who said this one was horrible this would've been our last.

Embarkation / Disembarkment: Not too bad. Everything went fairly quick for all the people they had to process!

Dining: Yuck!!! This had to be one of my major complaints. Bland, flavorless, choices. Every time I thought I was in the clear with a choice they couldn't screw up, it arrived with some kind of sauce on it. The plus side to the food.. I tried some things I never have before (escargot). Be it the main dining room, the buffet, or pool side restaurant there was definitely room for growth! As for our server's they were great. We learned about their personal life and had a great time joking with them.

Public Rooms: From the time I stepped onto the ship I was impressed with the decoration. I also looked the continual cleaning.. this being our first real trip anywhere I was worried about all the viruses you read about. CLEAN, CLEAN and CLEANING everywhere I walked!

Entertainment: I'm on the fence here..we had the late dining time. Everyone who had the early dining time skipped the early show and attended the late show. By the time we would come out of dinner the theatre would be full. The shows we did make it to see were very good though. As for the theatre itself... Who designed this? There had to be a pole that obstructs your view in 90% of all the seats.

Cabin: Everything went well in our cabin. It was kept very tidy and clean. And surprised everyday with a new towel animal (plenty of picture opportunities... you know you took them too!) The closet space we had was plenty for our clothes and luggage. I didn't expect it but we had a programmable safe.. I wondered what I was going to do with our cash, credit cards, passports, jewelry and camera. We had cabin with a view and it was very nice to watch out of when we were coming or going from a port.

Shore Excursions: Isle Rotan: We went on the Tabianna Beach excursion. The beach here was gorgeous. I loved all the local flavor of the artists. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy a painting since I've decorated a room in palm trees. The ride there was questionable at times. The long mountain road we climbed (which provided us with some amazing views) was kind of scary. Ok.. I mention this was our first trip anywhere, so our first trip to a foreign country. I'm untraveled and from Missouri. Here we are on this road, on a old rickety school bus, driving through heavy looking jungle scenery. I felt like a group of gorilla's (rebels not animals) were going to swoop out of the jungle and take us for ransom. What an imagination I have...stop laughing! The way back was better once we adjusted to our surroundings. The actual town was very, very, VERY poor. It seemed like every house was selling Coca-Cola and banana's (which looked rotten) and each house had a pleasantly plump woman on the porch. Well back at the shore is where I passed up my other bargain because I thought I would get one further down the line. A beautiful King Conch Shell.. O'well maybe if you read this and want one you won't make the same mistake!

Belize: We missed this stop due to roughs weather. Carnival gave each passenger a 25$ credit. You mean I was only paying 25$ to see this stop. I doubt it.

Grand Cayman: Here we went on the See & Sea tour. This was good. The boat we went on with the submarine like bottom was awesome! We checked out an old ship wreck and saw a ton of sea life and some scuba divers! Then it was on to Hell... ha! This stop is basically a little shack that sells tourist items and a square of lava like rock with little hand painted devils. But hey you can say you've been to hell and back. On to the turtle farm... first word to describe it SMELLY!!! Turtle meat is what they eat??? Give me cow and chicken any day! We were in luck though it was right next to the Tortuga Rum Cake place. Samples!!! Yummy!!! The best part of this was our guide on the bus.. he told us a little bit about the culture. No taxes (sign me up)! And after all the gross ship food...aahh..SUBWAY!!!

Cozumel: Well let me start with as soon as we got to the main road off the dock there was a parade/circus. Lion's and Tiger's O'MY! Just let me say the cages were something a chicken could have broken out of. I could just see the crowd fleeing for their lives. Then Friday at 7:00pm "When Mexican Circus' go Wrong". (Your picturing it aren't you?) This is the stop for a jewelry nut. plenty of bargains. We went to a little lecture thing on the ship that told you were to ship gave you some stickers to get some free stuff and so on and so forth. The best thing we learned was to start at the far end and work your way back...because every place you pass has free tequila samples. And by the time your back by the ship..your hammered! We ate at an authentic mexican restaurant here. The food was good the price was a little expensive it was about 45$ for two with one alcoholic drink. O'well when in Rome..excuse me Mexico! Was this day heaven or what Mexican food for lunch and McDonald's for dinner!

Recreation: Do they offer anything but Karaoke? "FUN days at sea", not so fun! It didn't seem like they had any activities ever.

Overall Cruise: NO, NO, NO, I would not cruise with Carnival again!! This was the perfect cruise to provide me with all the item's I wouldn't look for on another cruise. However, things that were good.. CLEAN, SERVICE, PORTS OF CALLS & EXCURSIONS, AND EXITING!

cruise - aholic's Full Rating Summary