3. Oasis of the Seas
We chose Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean cruise in June (most expensive month) to celebrate Graduations and birthdays/anniversary as well as finally experience this magnificent ship we watched being built almost a decade ago. We had never been to St. Thomas or St. Maarten either. The ship is impressive, it would be difficult to argue that. There are many things to see and do that are not offered on other cruise ships. Having said that, it felt very disorganized and when activity directors were present, many times it was in small areas so only a few people compared to the nearly 6000 passengers could experience. We chose a balcony room overlooking Central Park. It was lovely, however my personal preference would be to get an ocean balcony from now on. Privacy was an issue for some who chose to not close their curtains while changing (not our room) and we prefer the ocean breeze which allows for circulation of stagnant stateroom air which caused stuffy noses & congestion among our group. We did not feel the connection of most crew members who on previous RC cruises were very present. We thought that maybe the crew does not have to "sell" as much with guaranteed daily tips. (We have always tipped at least the minimum recommended tips & usually gave more to those who went above & beyond), but wonder if that is why we noticed a difference in many crew members. The ship is gigantic and of course many times there were multiple things we wanted to do happening at the same time, then other times, no scheduled activities we had interest in. Also communication with your group/family members is only possible if you pay for internet which on this cruise was over $100 per device. So we had to pay over $200 just to be able to text our teenage daughter and communicate locations & meet ups at various times. This should be included in the app at no additional charge in my opinion. The main dining room food was average, not bad, not good, we still ate it. Our servers had several large tables & our dinner experience was always over 2 hours which made us late to a couple reserved shows, so they let other people without reservations in. We had to leave early a couple times. Specialty dining is much better, but of course additional cost. We had a voucher from our travel agency and that was helpful. We had 2 connecting rooms my husband & 2 kids shared with me, since they will not allow 2 underages in 1 room, we booked 1 adult & 1 child per room. This allowed my husband to purchase a drink package & I did not. He got his money's worth on the drink package, I would have lost money as I don't drink enough to account for spending that amount each day. Overall we noticed that RC service has declined in many areas and costs continue to increase. We still had a great time with family & friends, it is hard not to have a good time when someone else is cooking & cleaning for you everyday, but haven't decided if it is just the extreme size of the ship which obviously changes they dynamic, or if we just had amazing crew and cruise directors on previous cruises. We will compare in November when we take a weekend cruise on a smaller RC ship. The value for the money is average because you can do this same cruise & itinerary for nearly half our cost in other months, we just could not cruise at those times due to schedules. Also CATS which I have seen live many years ago, was very difficult to hear & the theatre was hot, so we had to leave at intermission. Talent was there, but sound difficulties made it horrible to sit through on the 2nd level.

Returned to RC after a few years & Our Largest ship experience

C-Ray’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

Central Park View Balcony
Cabin 2J 11237
Spacious & clean, good location, 3 floors above centra park, would not want to be any lower. 4 floor below the pool deck. In the morning you can here music from Central Park, later you can hear reggae music from the pool deck from your balcony. We liked that, never had noises that kept us awake.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• ATV
    Chad was our tour guide. Took us all over the island and was incredibly patient with our group as we had a slower driver. He did as much as he could and even extended the time since it was taking us longer. This was the highlight of my whole trip. Beautiful island, lovely people.
  • Island Tour
    Took a taxi from pier to downtown. An independent tour guide approached us and for $25 pp we took an island tour to the high overlook, a shopping area and ended at a private resort beach for 2 hours before he picked us up and returned to the ship. Great experience, best price we had seen.
    View All 264 Island Tour Reviews