3. Crown Princess
We are multiple cruisers 62(male and female) this being our 13th Princess Cruise. The Weather on this cruise was good with no rain, which is unusual for January. Most days were sunny and around 80. What was different about this cruise was the demographics. "Newly wed and Nearly Dead", the old cruise adage applied, Well maybe not the newlywed part. The average age of cruisers must have been over 70. Many walkers, scooters etc. This was significantly different then our last cruise at this time of the year as in the past the average age was 50ish. The only problem with the elderly cast was that all the shows were very crowded. With a younger crew more people spend time in the casino, bars, on deck or they have kids. You had to go 30 minutes early to get a seat in some of the shows. Scooter people were very rude too. As always something seems to change from the last cruise. What we noticed was that princess eliminated the captains cocktail party except for the special party for return cruisers. They replaced it with just a champagne waterfall. Sometimes we omit formal night but this time we attended it and were disappointed that the first party has been canceled. It is a good chance to mingle and see how people dress. BTW, a tux was rare on this cruise(I don't rent one anymore either) Food was good, service was fine. We chose anytime dining. You could be seated immediately as long as you agreed to share. The cabin was nice. Ship furnishings were clean and well maintained. The Baked Alaska parade has also been canceled. The lobster was not much. Next time I order something else.You still cant go hungry on a cruise. There was no island party either. I always liked that. There did seem to be more dance classes. Line dancing, ball room etc. The exercise room was jam packed, I went there around 7am one day and could not get a treadmill. Must be the age of the passengers. Usually I like to run early and no one is up, not this cruise, people everywhere. Not a real problem I just used the jogging track. The track is too short and oval shaped tho and it bothered my knees. Same in the afternoon. Entertainment was more upscale then in the past. Larger cast of singers and dancers, bigger production numbers and a larger stage. The cast seems to have more experience too. They also had 2 comedians who were very good. Problem with the comedians was that they performed in the explorers lounge which was more conducive to dancing then a stage show. Hard to find a seat, but the shows were repeated so you could see it eventually. We ended up having 3 days at sea. The trip to princess cays was canceled at the last minute by the captain due to high winds. As always on sea days people saved chairs first thing in the morning and did not show up for hours. There were enough chairs tho so you could find something eventually. The deck bar service staff was new and inexperience. I ordered an absolute and sprite and it took 3 tries to get it right. The server brought me absolute then no sprite. Took a long time on deck to get drinks. The football games were on deck the day of arrival and the first day at sea. I liked that, it was good to be able to watch the games. Lots of people in team jerseys. Our stops were Grand Cayman. We went to 7 mile beach at the royal palms. Nice place. $5 cab ride, 7 for chairs and 10 for an umbrella. Water sports shack, good bar, 2 nice restaurants for lunch. Clean too. BTW, princess tenders to Mahogany bay not Georgetown. This is a port area. Plenty of stores there for shopping. Some people didn't like that fact as they had to taxi to town. In Roatan we took the best of tour since we have never been to Roatan. It was an ok tour but too much driving on non scenic routes. Next time I go to the beach. Docked at a port area away from town here too. Nice area In Cozumel, we docked at a port area too. We took a taxi(7 per couple) to the forum shops in town and walked back most of the way. Cozumel was empty. It must have been the port area(lots of people didn't want to pay for taxis) and the fact that only 2 ships were in town. Had lunch at Carlos and Charlies, that was fun. They have a Margaritaville but that was at the end of town and empty. No pool at this Margaritaville, just a restaurant. Grand Turks is much nicer with a wave pool etc. All in all a nice cruise. We had low expectations weather wise and were pleasantly surprised. It was good to get away from the cold in snow in the US.

Break from the Snow Cruise