3. Caribbean Princess
This was an 8-night cruise to the Dutch islands of Curacao, Bonaire, and Aruba, and the dates worked well for us. As a second cruise on Princess within a year (first one was in Alaska), the Caribbean Princess was very disappointing. On the positive side: Our cabin was nice -- a mini-suite with a balcony and real bathroom with a tub. Very comfortable bedding and air conditioning worked well. Room steward was very attentive and our cabin was cleaned as soon as we left the room. The dinners in the dining room were very nice with numerous choices, special requests handled graciously, and very pleasant staff. The choices for breakfast and lunch were usually in one of the public dining areas which had plentiful choices from the buffet, made-to-order omelets for breakfast, and different selections everyday for lunch. Very good wait staff there as well. Regarding entertainment, the few shows offered were quite enjoyable and provided a variety of acts. From comedy, to a staged show, to a music and dance theme, all were enjoyable. In the negative zone: We found very little to do onboard the ship during sea days, and scheduled events involved selling something. From China-made clothing events, to posture/walking products, other care products, and art of course. We regularly found that there was very little seating, IF any, in the atrium area to enjoy a coffee or listen to music, or just rest for a bit. The worst experience for me was on the first day of port visits in Curacao. We had booked the Hato Cave Tour which left at about Noon. The first stop at the cave nearly resulted in me needing a paramedic. There were over 50 very steep steps UP to a cave, which necessitated me to sit midway on one step to allow me to catch my breath and continue on (about 10-15 minutes). Once in the cave, it was hot and not a "cooled cave" as you would expect. It did have quite a few fans on stands, but there was no place to sit unless you were cautious not to lean back and possibly fall into the cave about two stories down. I was close to having suffered a heat stroke and tried my best not to black out. I was thankful to a couple of ladies from California who stayed with me and subsequently helped me out of the cave. The tour guide seemed blind to my distress. Afterwards back on the bus, one of the ladies gave me a fruit to help my dehydration and give me some nourishment. Our tour was supposed to go back to the ship so we could have lunch but the cancelled that portion. We were provided with NO food, snacks, beverages for the entire time of the tour, with all the provisions that there are on the ship. The tour guide, Ursula, provided many facts that guests needed to correct her about. I did not get off the bus for the rest of the day in fear or heat exhaustion again. The guide rearranged the order of the tour, and we did not get back to the ship until 8:00PM. At that point, we were unable to make the 8:30PM dinner at the specialty restaurant. We were not dressed for it nor in a state of mind to enjoy it. Being diabetic and not having enough to drink or eat for that many hours was a serious issue. That tour really ruined the beginning of our ports of call and my attitude towards Princess. Our experience with Princess tours in Alaska was excellent, so this experience was a 180-degree difference. We reported the Curacao tour issue onboard the Caribbean Princess to their excursion desk, but they did not seem very caring. Also, I was not the only one to have difficulty with the Hato Cave climb or inside visit. It truly ruined my view of Princess tours.

Caribbean Princess Disappointment