3. Volendam
I choose this ship for our 3 generation trip due to size and itinery, like everyone advised. We all had a great time and no complaints. We arrived the night before, made our way down to the port the next morning around 11:00, and was on the ship within about 30 minutes. We found our cabins (interior 6132, 6134, 7025 and Vista Suite 7084) and met the stewards. The room was clean, larger than expected and storage was only half used-do not worry about having room to unpack! Stewards come twice a day, leaving a surprise in cabin every night! Loved how the staff remembered our names and how friendly they all were! Yes, the tv’s were older and kid’s cabin had lines on their screen, but we weren’t there to spend much time on that. Bathroom was good size, interior room had twice the counter space than the vista suite. Suite had a tub/shower, interior only a small shower. My favorite restaurants were the Dive-In (awesome hamburgers) and Dining Room, then the Lido (buffet). Tried room service once and was good, order came about 10 minutes early. Did not try Pinnacle Grill, only because there was not a view, but the menu looked great. We really enjoyed the daily trivia and bingo, never won any games, but it was still lots of fun! The indoor pool was heated most days, hot tubs every day. Husband enjoyed casino, but never won. My dad enjoyed the computer classes, my sister the cooking classes. I loved the art of towel making class. We took in a movie and swam in pool. My kids, 17 and 12, did not attend HAL Club. Everyone’s favorite stop was Glacier Bay! We got to see lots of calving...it was awesome and beyond words of description! Skagway we did the train/shuttle thru Chilkoot Charters. Juneau the Mendenhall Glacier and hiked to Nugget Falls. Ketchikan we booked the Misty Fjord’s Wilderness Adventure thru HAL...we returned an hour later, I guess because we kept stopping for wildlife sightings, but it also made me miss doing other things in port. Again, service was awesome! From the staff remembering our names and faces, helping us celebrate a special occasion and doing whatever they could to help in any way, they were phenomenal! We did self- disembarking, and requested early departure as we had an 11:42 am flight. There were 2 ships in port and we walked straight thru everything. We then had to wait on our reserved car with Aerocar, which was 10 minutes late. Made it to airport and security with little to no wait time. In fact, drive time and traffic was longer than the whole airport entry process! Highly recommend Holland America Volendam!

Wonderful time, first cruise

Volendam Cruise Review by Texansonboard

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Large Interior Stateroom

Highly recommend Holland America Volendam!
Texansonboard’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

• Glacier Bay
    Beautiful and no words can descibe Marjoree Glacier. Saw lots of calving here and the sounds were amazing. Be sure to include this on any cruise you consider.
    View All 748 Glacier Bay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Glacier Bay Cruise Port Review
  • Mendenhall Glacier
    Beautiful. Do not make same mistake...forgot not to take the shuttle and paid way more than we should have!
    View All 889 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
  • Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise
    Long....to get to the interesting part of this. Saw wildlife, but were an hour late returning, which did not allow us to do anything else in port.
    View All 102 Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise Reviews
  • White Pass Scenic Railway
    Our guide, Debbie, was awesome! We were met at end of port and take to train. We met up again with her when it was time to transfer to shuttle portion. We had about 14 people in our group and were able to stop/start along our journey as we saw wildlife. We were lucky to stop and see a bear on the side of the road just doing his thing. He could’ve cared less that we were staring at him and he did retreat a bit when the big tour bus pulled up behind us, but we could still watch him.
    I highly recommend this company for the more personalized service and quality.
    View All 1,104 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews