3. Oasis of the Seas
Like many, we were sucked in by the masterful marketing Royal Caribbean did for Oasis of the Seas -- it didn't take us long to book and once we did, we were very excited to go; we checked out all the ship's virtual tours and videos that were posted on its website. Our sailing was December 12th. My husband and I sailed with our 4-year old. I think the decision on whether or not to book Oasis depends on what kind of person you are. We are value people. Meaning we're happy if we feel like what we got is worth what we spent. We did not feel like this on the Oasis. So let me give you a rundown of our experience. I am going to try and alternate between positive and negative. GETTING ON THE SHIP Once you got past the craziness caused from lack of signage and direction for the line in unloading your luggage at the port, once you were inside the terminal, getting on the boat in Fort Lauderdale was really simple, quick and easy. STATEROOM I don't remember having to wait to go to our stateroom after check-in, which was nice. We were really happy with our stateroom. We spent more money to have the balcony room and in general I would say RCL did a better job in having more storage spots in the staterooms on the oasis as compared to past cruise ships. For the negative on the stateroom, we thought our attendant was good, but not great like in past cruises. Our room was taken care of really late and while he did what he was supposed to, he didn't seem to happy to be doing the job. I will say that all the stateroom attendants greeted our child every time we were walking through the halls very nicely and she loved that. ENTERTAINMENT The entertainment on board the Oasis was the one area where I really felt we were truly getting our money's worth. The Hairspray show was really good - my 4-year old even sat through the whole thing and really liked it. The best show was the frozen in time Ice show -- really really cool! The "Come Fly with Me Show" was good, but not great. The Headliners show for our cruise was "Mosaic" - a group of guys who sang acapella with rhythm and appeared on the "America's got talent" show and nearly won. While they are really good, the songs they performed were quite dated.....mostly 80s and earlier. The water show was really good, too - it would have been better if it was even more action packed, but it was still really good. The comedy guys they had on board were really great, too! Hilarious! For the negatives of the entertainment....the whole reservations concept is ridiculous and unnecessary. There were a couple times we tried to get into a show that we didn't reserve. What they do is they make you wait (supposedly) until 10 minutes before the show to let you in if you don't have a reservation. However, the first show we had no reservations for was only about half full, so there was no reason to make us wait. Then, the second show we had no reservations for had plenty of seats, too but when ten minutes before came, they still wouldn't let anyone in....AND what was really annoying was they only had one line for the non-reservation people and it was on a different floor from where we were....so we ended up waiting in a line upstairs for quite a while before we found out we had to wait in a line downstairs...ridiculous! Especially when it ended up there were plenty of seats anyway! Also, the way they did the comedy club was annoying. The room was really really small. We went to the show the first night and we really enjoyed the show - both comics were really good and the headliner was hilarious. Well, even though there are more than two showings per night of the ACTIVITIES The merry-go-round and Johnny rockets bus and car were great on the boardwalk because they were always open and were free. I would say that the activities were pretty much identical to any other RCL cruise we've been on. There was always the fun "name that tune" and they had some good parties for the kids on the boardwalk. On the negative, there were definitely a few snafus that were annoying. First, there was a wine tasting scheduled that a few of us showed up for and no one ever showed up from the boat to run it. That wasn't a huge deal because it was for us. However, there were two kids activities that they failed on. First, they didn't run face painting on the boardwalk the full time it was scheduled for. Second, there was a kids golf activity scheduled at a certain time and no one from the boat showed up for it. In all of these instances...the guest services people first didn't believe us that they messed up until they checked the schedule and made 3 calls and nothing was ever done to correct their errors. It wasn't like they rescheduled these activities. The worst part is that we got our daughter excited about them and then we would get there and they wouldn't have the activity and we had to break the news...hence a temper tantrum. Yay. One thing they had was a bear-making shop, but it was broken down the entire cruise - yet another thing we got our daughter excited about that they ended up not delivering on. SHOPPING This was one of the main places where RCL spent a lot of their money on the Oasis. There was a lot more shops. However, they were soooooooo expensive it made us say..."who spends this much money?!" ....I don't know why they don't realize if they had a few shops on board with reasonable prices that they would probably sell a lot more. Most of the shops were nearly empty anytime we were walking around. KIDS CLUB / DAYCARE Overall we were really happy with the kids club staff and activities. Our daughter always had a great time there and often times chose going to the kids club over spending time with us. Also, they charge a reasonable rate to leave your kids there late. On the negatives of kids club, the check-in process took WAAAAAYYYYYY too long...they really need to have an online registration for kids club. Other than that, this billion-dollar boat had a really big leak in the room our daughter was supposed to be in and it was the best room in the place. Unfortunately, the leak forced them into a room for older kids that was less interesting for half the cruise. SPA / SALON The whole spa area was a lot bigger. Their pre-massage relaxation room was really nice. And the gym was great with all new equipment that you could bring your Ipod and watch ship tv and everything...it was good. However, I have to say my spa experience was not as good as past RCL cruises. I don't know if it was because the staff didn't seem too seasoned or what. I know for a fact that the prices were definitely higher than was typical. My daughter and I got a manicure and pedicure and I paid for the higher-level mani/ pedi and I just didn't feel it was up-to-snuff treatment for the price. Also, I got a Swedish massage...the girl I had didn't seem like she totally knew what she was doing. Also, they had a much nicer steam/sauna room than other cruise boats...but don't expect to use it unless you're willing to pay $30 per day! Which is ridiculous when most people want to use the sauna only occasionally for a few minutes. Every other cruise I've been on the sauna has been free. You would think....spending so much more money to go on the Oasis...that something as simple as the sauna would be included. NOPE. Also, don't be surprised if you get double-charged on your seapass card if you pre-book spa services online before your cruise. At the end of the cruise, I had to fight with RCL to refund me $129; which they did end up doing. FOOD Don't expect that because you're paying more money to go on the Oasis you're going to get higher level or more food options. That's only available to people who are willing to pay even more at all their many paid restaurants. We found that the food in the main dining room....the menu was identical to the offerings we had when we sailed on a low-level RCL cruise boat in January 2009. Literally identical. So that was very disappointing. We were also hoping that a bigger boat and spending more money would mean that they might finally have a dedicated buffet for kids. NOPE. In general, the windjammer food was acceptable, but nothing above or beyond RCL's other ships. They did have a buffet in the adults pool area that was a little more healthful eating and that was good....but not outstanding. The only paid restaurant we did was sushi. But there was a real issue with that. It wasn't ala cart sushi - it was a restaurant. My husband hates sushi and the smell of fish, so I just wanted to pay the extra $$ for it and take it back to my room. Well, the manager said no and there was no convincing him. We just couldn't believe it. We were willing to pay the money, but we had to sit in the restaurant when my husband doesn't like the cuisine or the smell to get the food?! I wasn't about to sit by myself. So, we were obviously dissatisfied and bitching quietly to ourselves trying to figure out what to do for dinner when a waitress amazingly took some initiative and convinced the manager to let me get some sushi and take it out with me. Well, when other people saw me with it...they wanted it to...they really should make the menus in the restaurants available to be delivered to or taken back to your stateroom if you're willing to pay for it. They had a cupcake place on board that they wanted to charge you $5 per cupcake for...and it was just okay. We only went the one time. They had an upscale coffee bar and we're convinced that RCL was trying to get everyone to spend their money at it because the regular coffee on board the Oasis was probably the worst we've ever had on board any ship. I don't know how to describe it except for disgusting,. The coffee was awful. Unless you went to the paid coffee bar, that is. Our service in the dining room was only okay where in past cruises its been great. POOL / SPORTS DECK The pools and spas were a bit nicer than normal, but the kids splash zone kept breaking or being turned off which was really annoying. The golf was the same as some of their lower boats. They had the zip line which was actually pretty short and not that scary. They had the flowrider that some people that are in to that sort of thing liked. THE SHIP So I would say we spent twice as much to go on oasis as compared to a typical RCL cruise we would have gone on. Where do I think they spent most of their money? ON THE SHIP ITSELF - making it flashier and bigger. There was lots of artwork to look at then when I heard what they spent on it I was flabbergasted. For instance, they had this bronze tree in the center of the ship that we heard they spent $400,000 on - I would much rather have seen that money go toward an upgraded dining experience or included sauna, for instance. Plus a bigger ship means a lot longer to walk from end to end - you're inevitably always on the wrong end! So in conclusion, I feel like we could have gone on two cruises for the same price and had a nearly identical experience.

Oasis of the Seas - Nice Boat, Great Time, Not Worth $$$$

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by rubysasha

Our sailing was December 12th. My husband and I sailed with our 4-year old.
rubysasha’s Full Rating Summary