Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by CJSANDFS

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class 1

After an aborted attempt to get into Reykjavik on Azura last year, I finally made it.

This was my main reason for booking this cruise.

Celebrity is still Celebrity. First time on Eclipse and all so similar to Solstice. Embarkation at Dublin went quite smoothly, given that it was in a large, very hot tent. I took a taxi to the port from my hotel. Easy.

I found the food OK in the dining room. I seldom go near the buffet and one of the best parts of finally being elite was the Murano breakfast.

I joined a family I met at the cruise critic cocktail party [big thank you to Karen for that one] for an Indian meal at Qsine. What a disaster! Turned up at 7 to be told that their booking was at 8.30. Couldn't find my friends and when I went back at 8, after attempting to contact Qsine via guest relations as 'they don't answer the phone during service', there they were. Fortunately the maitre d comped my meal but I would have to say that food was a huge disappointment. Doughy naan bread and samosas. I have had very good Indian food in the buffet on Solstice but this was not worth the effort.

I seldom go to any of the shows, having discovered ages ago that they are not my cup of tea so I really cannot comment. I did notice that the atrium is being used for some rather loud activities so I'd suggest booking a cabin well away from that.

Private excursions except for Lerwick. The much vaunted 'Golden Circle tour' was a bit of a letdown. If you have seen the geothermal activity in NZ at Rotorua or the Niagara or Iguassu Falls you will be very disappointed, and it is a long day. The walk through the rift between the tectonic plates was fascinating. The tour out to Mytavn from Akureyri was similar but a great view of the tectonic plates. We were lucky to have a windy day as they have a severe midge problem. They even sell hats with nets like they do in outback Australia. Lerwick was a ship tour and the only place we tendered. Well organised and I went to Jarlshof. It was freezing and the comfort stop at the Sumburgh hotel actually had a man on bathroom traffic control, letting 3 ladies in at a time. Thank goodness it was not raining. Very interesting archaeological ruins. Time for a quick visit to the fudge shop before tendering back to the ship. Several people hired cars to tour in all ports and that seemed to be very successful.

We docked next to the train station in Cobh so getting to Cork was easy. There had been a lot of discussion about this as at one stage it looked like we would dock in Ringaskiddy, industrial area across the bay.

I took the ship transfer to the airport rather than try for a taxi. Big mistake as I got to spend 3 exciting hours at Dublin airport before I could check in.

I was very excited to finally reach "elite" status on Celebrity but I am now reconsidering the value. A free bag of laundry, washed and folded, 3 cocktails each evening and a discount on internet , may not be enough to retain my loyalty. Azura last year had a much cheaper single supplement, a super free laundry and tea and coffee making facilities [with biscuits] in the cabin, just great when you are waking up at 2am with jetlag. I'll be seriously shopping around for my next cruise.

CJSANDFS's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Class 1
Cabin C1 1008

I had a concierge class cabin and quite frankly, the afternoon canapes were decidedly weird. Three or so corn chips, some sort of dip or salsa, a bit of cheese and a couple of lumps of something sweet. All very odd. Cabin steward was great and quickly had my door lock fixed and found me a new and better TV remote. I chose a cabin near the front of the ship, the idea being that a walk to the restaurants was good for me, but it really was a long hike.

CJSANDFS