3. Freedom of the Seas
Our cruise was on Freedom of the Seas, left from Puerto Rico to St. Marten, St Kitts, St. John, St. Lucia, Barbados. We were in a suite. Our problems started prior to even leaving. We are over 60 years old traveling with no children Booking our cruise, we had to change our original trip. Willing to pay the 200.00 I called and said put the 200.00 additional charge on a different credit card and pay the remainder of the trip on this other credit card. I received a receipt paid in full then prior to deadline to pay off your cruise I received an email saying if I didn't pay the balance I would not be on this cruise. no explanation, nothing! I pulled up my credit card statement and saw where the money had been taken out of both statements got my receipt where I received the paid in full and I called told them there is a mistake and they never did tell me what the problem was. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. Told them I had receipts and the supervisor just said you owe the money pay or don't go. so we (my husband and I ) sat down and calculated on what happen and the employee that put the 200. on one card it paid on our balance then when he processed the remainder on the other card it had a balance minus the 200. in which now showed we still owed 200.00. Okay, I see that but they could of explained the error instead of being so rude. We paid the money but was never explained to us what happen other than you pay or don't go. Departure: We took uber to the Terminal with all the luggage in tow I showed my sea pass to an employee and told to stand in this line, a very long line when people were driving up to the front of the line and putting their luggage before us. We had plenty of time to just stand there and watch to the point of being somewhat irritated, then when we finally got to the end (very unorganized) I was even holding up money next in line and had some person push by us and they took his luggage then I finally said can someone please take my luggage, only one person can accept this so when the next person cut in line in front of me I had to say something in which made me look like an unruly person. I didn't care at this point. But I did put my money back up no tip for this. going into the building went fast as we were in the suite line and there was no one there. Our first meal was lunch waiting for them to get the luggage on board was in the Windjammer, after finally finding a place to eat (which is normal during day 1) we had people (2 separate people) coming up to our table trying to sell us another place to eat on the cruise for a special price. (and it happened again later on in the week) In which we did not want solicitors to bother us on our vacation.. this is what we get away from. The food was excellent and the service the Windjammer was good. Now for our first dining room experience, we waited in line forever. WE HAD RESERVATIONS and a TABLE NUMBER. They did not (or maybe they thought they did), so finally after waiting and evaluating what was going on, the only podium open, we just went past the line and walked in and there was several other couples walking around looking for their table number just like us. We finally caught a waiter and they helped us find our table. There was only one excursion that we wanted to do and that one had to be through the cruise line. Scuba diving where else could you get to dive all these islands in a week and not have to fly within 24 hrs. When I went to the excursion desk they explained to me I had to go to the dive shop and book it on the 11th floor. I just said I want to book the excursion I don't need lessons. then another lady walked up and said, " just like this lady told you, you have to go to the 11th floor to the dive shop". She didn't say, we are not qualified to take that type of excursion, or nothing other than go to the Dive Shop. Okay now here I go to the 11th floor find the long line at the dive shop, only one person working and listening to them give preliminary information on learning to dive, or discovery courses on diving I finally get my turn and book the dive. Now as far as the service from the person at the dive shop he was fantastic spent as much time with me as he did others but he was the only one working and their was a long line behind me when I got done. Service for my room was superior, and service (waiter) for our dining room was great. I carry a portable cd player that I plug into my TV I take alot of pictures on my camera that I like to view my film from the tv, our television was very small but it did have the hdmi, or video audio in/outputs, but after calling the electrician several times they finally said your tv is not hooked up for you to use your hdmi or any other device. Ok, this was a first for me on other cruises I was able to hook up (not Royal Caribbean) We try not to spend alot of time watching tv but at night we do like to relax in bed with some entertainment. The only stations we could find that was not selling us something on board, were 2 spanish stations, 2 cartoon stations, 1 movie station if you like retro movies from the 50's or Laverne and Shirley. So all the stations that I could watch were controlled by RC. All the other stations were selling me something. (except the one day I watched cartoons) St. Marten was great we did our own thing took a taxi to Maho Beach where the airport is that you can be on the beach and they fly right over you to land and had a blast that day. St. Kitts our excursion day to scuba dive. Coming off the ship was exactly as planned and told to do. There was a short hop over to the dive shop to sign waivers then onto the boat. It had approximately 12 -14 divers 1 dive master leading the dive 1 at the rear. We got onto the boat..rode out hmmm 4 minutes and we were there on the site. were that close to shore, that close to our ship and visibility was maybe 20 ft. For a beginner diver this may of been the dive for you but we were very disappointed and left us believing that all of St Kitts had very bad diving. In getting on the boat I put my fins on my arms when I go up the ladder and the one divemaster told me to take them off and hand them to him, I told him I always put them on my arms and he again said no you hand them to me so i just took them off my arms and gave them to him as to not cause a scene. What was the big deal? St. John (Antigua) no diving this day but when we went to get off the ship as I wanted to shop it was early as they were just opening up some of the places and we had to filter through blocks (and I mean blocks) of people wanting to solicit excursions, taxis, shopping places, this went on and was so bad I went back onto the ship and did not get back off. It felt like we had been battered by solicitors. St. Lucia we organized diving with a private company, picked up at the pier by boat and was taken out on the other side of the island and got to dive several famous locations where it was beautiful fed lunch and saw some amazing landscape. Visibility was 100 plus. (not a cattle boat) Barbados we organized diving with another private company and was picked up at the gate taken to the dive shop got to see some sites enroute then to the boat where we had two of the most amazing diving 4 different ship wrecks and several sea horses that are hard to find at most locations. Visibility was 100 plus (not a cattle boat) The fun on the ship was trying to surf, knee boarding and climbing the wall. The employee working these events were awesome and very patient. Departure: The last thing that I can think of right off the top of my head that will forever leave a lasting impression.....the departure. Our departure time was 8:15 AM in the promenade, didn't say where we were to go on the 5th floor but we were there at our time allotted. By the time we got there at 8:10 there was already a crowd of people (in place to sit) people were sitting on the floor up against the closed stores. Now after standing there after 20 minutes we started thinking we were in wrong place but met by others which had 8:00 am then 8:30, then 8:45. there is nothing but crowds and crowds of people which added to the no where to sit on the floor, by the way we were group # 10...9:00 o clock rolls around by then my husband is trying to find SOMEONE who can tell us what is going on. could not find anyone.. 9:15 and what is happening is by then there is such a crowd of people I am wishing I had never came down or really by then ever came abroad.. 9:20 there is announcement. yes hooray and announcement. they said...we are calling group 1 group 2 group 3 group 4 group 5 group 6 group 7 group 8 group 9 group 10 to the exit . Now we are departing through a crowd, with a crowd, around a crowd and it was grid lock. I could hear a small child coughing (like she had asthma) and no one could get her out no one could even get to her if they had to take her out on a gurney. Yes we finally made it out of the ship but when we got to stand in line they had one line no one in it and it said for Suite and Gold Sea Card Holders. Well, we were in a Suite but told no you cannot go in that line by a RC personnel. The week definitely had its ups and downs but now you can understand why when someone asks me if I would go Royal Caribbean I will absolutely not. And will not recommend them. It was as if they were always trying to separate us from our money, hustling and control what we see and do. I realize that things go wrong but I also know that people are very understanding IF and ONLY IF they are given an explanation WHY something is the way it is.

A summarized week of ups and downs. Mostly downs

Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by IMRC

• Sail Date: June 2018
  • Destination: Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Grand Suite - 1 Bedroom

IMRC’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas price drops

Grand Suite - 1 Bedroom
Cabin GS 9544
Our cabin was large clean and very roomy. I love the suite we were in and have no complaints about the cabin. I thought that there should be a bigger TV and possibly a way to connect up a device but I will not let that hurt my ratings of having a clean big room.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Scuba Diving
    after booking was given a map and instructions on our pick up. We went back to dive shop off shore and during the ride was given a brief tour of downtown. It was great. We met with our Instructor/Guide for this dive and went out for a sloping deep wall dive where visibility was excellent and the reefs were loaded with marine life. Our second dive was on 4 different shipwrecks and besides seeing all 4 we saw a couple of seahorses, numerous eels that were active outside the reef. The Diving was fantastic!!!
    View All 8 Scuba Diving Reviews
  • San Juan
    We walked to Old San Juan to the Fort Area it was closing but did walk around the out skirts of it. The history was fascinating.
    View All 3,803 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • Scuba - Certified
    Cattle boat, could of taken us to an area of better visibility instead it was right there off almost by the cruise ship.
    View All 14 Scuba - Certified Reviews
  • Scuba Diving
    Not a cattle boat took us to famous ideal dive sites had two of the most qualified DM's and also it had a delicious lunch. They picked us up on the pier and off we went straight out to the dive site and while en route got to see a lot of the island.
    View All 4 Scuba Diving Reviews
  • St. Maarten
    Maho Beach the beach that is located at the airport where you can swim underneath the airplanes as they land and take off. What an experience.
    View All 4,753 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews