• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Norwegian Star Review

Editor Rating
3 Awards

Itinerary was great, ship was just ok

Review for Norwegian Star to the Mediterranean
DEW95
2-5 Cruises • Age 40s

Sail Date: May 2018
Cabin: Mid-Ship Balcony

I picked this cruise because of the itinerary. It was my first time sailing Norwegian and only my 4th cruise. Embarkation day in Barcelona was horrible. We arrived at 1pm and the line was all the way down the street. There was no shade and no water. We finally made it on board about 430. They were still loading luggage onto the ship at 6 which was suppose to be our departure time. The Star has just came out of dry dock and looked great. Our balcony room was nice. Out safe didn’t work and we could never get anyone to fix it. We did try but gave up after a few attempts with them being no shows. Had plenty of outlets and a couple of usb plugs on the side lights by the bed which were very convenient. It had a coffee pot and the room steward did a good job of keeping it stocked with coffee pods. Pool deck was nice but very small. On embark day and sea days it was a mad house. Buffet food was mostly good. The key is to not stop after the first little food area. Walk around through each small buffet area. There are 3, first is the specialty of the night, like Asian or Italian, the second was the everyday food like pizza and pasta and other kid friendly food, and the third was the deserts and soft serve ice cream. The main dining rooms aquas and Versailles had the same food but we usually had better service in Versailles. Their menus had a good selection and there wasn’t one meal that was bad. O’Sheeans on the other hand wasn’t very good. We ate there twice and both times service was horrible and food was just ok. In fact the appetizers were bad. And the complimentary Asian restaurant was bad. Bad service and bad food and it was very loud.

The nightly shows were hit or miss. Some I loved some I hated. But they did try to do a variety to make sure everyone got something they liked which was nice. The activities were fun but not always at a time that made sense. We missed a lot because they were to early on a port day. They have quite a few board games for you to entertain yourselves with in the library. They only great service we had was our room steward Jacob. He was always ready and eager to help were he could. The rest of the service was mediocre at best. While this was probably my least favorite ship I’ve sailed on I would still sail Norwegian again. I think a lot of the things I didn’t like had to do with this being a smaller older ship. Like no laundry rooms and no out door movies at night and a bigger pool and pool deck. We walked off with our luggage on debark day so have no idea how the actual process went with people waiting on luggage.

Mid-Ship Balcony

Cabin BA

Standard balcony room. Ample storage space but would have liked more drawers verses shelves in the wardrobe. Lots of electrical plugs and usb chargers on lights by bed were very convenient. Safe was broken and unusable throughout the whole cruise as were a couple of ceiling lights.

Port Reviews

Barcelona

Loved the city. We stayed 3 days before the cruise. Defintely make time to go into the familia sagrada. Whole city was easy to get around using public transportation.

Monaco (Monte Carlo)

We spent the day just wondering around the city, which was kinda challenging with baracades for the grand prix up.

Find a Norwegian Star Cruise from $419