3. Polarlys
About 5 years ago I went on the same cruise in January up the coast of Norway all the way to the Russian border, everything gleamring in the snow. It was so beautiful that I wanted to see it in the summer, and wasn’t disappointed. Totally different but stunning all the same. The Hurtigruten Line is very well organised. Joining the cruise in Bergen and disembarkation at the end is done with military precision. The facilities on board are a delight and the food is a dream. Both breakfast and lunch are buffet style but I defy anyone to be unable to find suitable food wherever in the world you come from. Dinner was a set menu with allocated tables. The service staff are quick and efficient and friendly. I can only report on my own cabin experience but I was more than happy. I was fortunate to have an upgrade from inside to outside cabin with a window. I suspect it was because it was my second voyage with Hurtigruten Cruise line. The cabin was well equipped but I did take a little travel kettle, tea and coffee and dried milk. I like a cup of tea as soon as I rise in the morning. The excursions are numerous and, again, well organised. As for entertainment it’s not like the big cruise ships by any means, there are regular lectures about everything Norwegian, from wildlife, oil production, myths and legends, fishing etc. These lectures are entertaining and well presented. There’s the Crossing the Artic Circle ceremony attended by King Neptune, which, if you dare to participate, ends with you having a jug full of cold water and ice cubes tipped down the back of your neck, so beware. The one thing I will say is that Norway is a very expensive country to visit. You have to be prepared for high prices for anything on board over and above the full board costs already paid for. Having said that it is a wonderful experience.

Excellent scenic cruise and excursions

Polarlys Cruise Review by Galapagos95

The excursions are numerous and, again, well organised.

Galapagos95’s Full Rating Summary
Get Hurtigruten Polarlys price drops

As I was on my own I knew I wouldn’t have a great deal of room but it was more than adequate. Telephone and television fitted, shampoo, body wash and hand wash provided. Stacks of hot water in the shower and basin. All kept beautifully clean by the housekeeping staff. The bedding and towels are tidied every day if you request, and changed frequently, also at your request. Very comfortable bed, and there is also a thermostat so the cabin temperature can be set to your liking.