Crystal Serenity Cruise Review

THE CRUISE LINE THAT USED TO BE GREAT

Crystal Serenity Cruise Review by drleff

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: the Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah (slightly limited view)

We took a cruise aboard the Crystal Serenity for our Honeymoon. It couldn't have been better. We've been dreaming of the day we could return. Then we did, for our ten year anniversary. What a let down.

Our luggage was 'lost' in Heathrow. We didn't get it back for 8 days (out of a 12 day cruise). I understand the lost luggage wasn't Crystal's fault, but if I'm paying $1,000/day, I expect some level of service. We got the concierge to make a few pathetic attempts at phone calls. Other than that, it was on us. We spent 8 days standing at the concierge desk making phone calls from their 'landline'. We sent emails all day long. When we went ashore for the day, all we had time to do was shop for whatever clothes we would need for that night and next day.

Crystal did nothing to help. Crystal did nothing to accommodate us. How about a shipboard credit to help buy clothes and toiletries? How about a massage? How about assisting with out laundry (we spent 2 hours every night in the laundry room)? How about trying to find our luggage???? In the end, they sent me a toothbrush, toothpaste and deodorant. Gee, thanks.

The ship was nice, and mostly well maintained. It is definitely due for refurb. The food was lousy, cheap, bland, mushy and tasteless. Maybe they are still used to catering to the elderly. My wife and I took to ordering two of each course, as we knew at least one would be inedible.

The room service menu was a joke. Couldn't order breakfast other than once. Limited menu that was accessible only if you are not leaving for an excursion. Hello, room service, I'd like an omlette. Sorry, it's too late, but you can have scrambled eggs. Seriously? Don't they know an omelette is scrambled eggs with some stuff inside? Again, I'm paying $1,000/day to be there. Felt more like I was staying at a Holiday Inn.

The waitstaff were rude. Why am I on board this 'luxury' ship, and the watier is a jerk? But it wasn't one bad seed, it was most of them. We actually had good service and food for dinner at Tastes. Their 'Nobu' restaurant.... not even close. It was fine, but I've had comparable sushi at the grocery store.

There was one good thing was the booze. Thank god it was free, and there was plenty of it. Otherwise, I may have thrown someone overboard!

All in all, Crystal is not what it used to be, especially for the price.

Look elsewhere.

drleff's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Stateroom with Verandah (slightly limited view)
Cabin B2 8063

Small, but to be expected. Clean. Nice, but not 'wow'. Well appointed. Two nice bathrobes. Nice products in bathroom. Bathtub is doable.

Sistine Chapel

Great tour, but obscenely expensive. About $800 for two people. Tour lasted about an hour. Worth going, but not for this price.

View All 122 Sistine Chapel Reviews
St. Peter's Basilica

Same as above. Tour ended here. Just pointed us on our way, and said see you in an hour for lunch. We skipped the lunch (thank goodness), as everyone said it was a dark room with mediocre food. Kept them there for two hours.

View All 131 St. Peter's Basilica Reviews
Saint-Tropez

Shopped for clothes (of course), then went to Maison Bianca for a day at the beach. It was the best part of our trip. "Private" beach club. Took about a 20 minute taxi ride there. Had the taxi driver arranged to pick up up at the end of the day.

Great food, drinks and scenery. Just like the movies!

Ibiza

Went to the beach-about an hour's taxi drive away. Amazing. Sant Josep de Sa Talaia. Had two restaurants and bars. Bought a beach blanket from a local vendor. Spent the day in the sun. Highly recommend.

Corsica (Ajaccio)

Nice town, good shopping. Went to a few churches.

Villefranche

Shopping. Still buying clothes. Still no luggage. Walked around town. It was lovely.

Florence Walking Tour

Again, very expensive for a ride into town. No tour, just a bus ride. I think it was $300 for two people.

We walked around town, and of course had to buy clothes due to our continued lost luggage. Nice stores. Very expensive day. Very crowded.

View All 136 Florence Walking Tour Reviews
Barcelona

La Sagrada Familia was amazing. Best thing I saw on the cruise. It is a MUST. It was a 20k step day-walking around town. Went to Anthony Bourdain recommendation "Quimet y Quimet". Kind of a shady part of town (my wife wanted to kill me), but after a great beer and tapas, she was happy.

Monaco (Monte Carlo)

I know this cruise spent two days here for the Grand Prix. However if you weren't interested in it, it was a mess. So busy you couldn't walk around. We took a train to Cannes and Antibes. We had a great time. Got back to Monte Carlo, and because it was so crowded, we were lost for an hour. Couldn't find the right port. Were stuck amongst thousands of spectators. It was miserable. Got back on the ship, and were planning on doing our shopping the next day.

Seas got a little rough, and the captain said there were to be no more tenders to shore. Other cruise ships tenders were going to shore though. We were stuck on the ship all day-our last cruise day! It wasn't as bad for us, as we didn't spend thousands of dollars on tickets to the Grand Prix. The passengers were furious, especially because Crystal claimed no responsibility-again!

drleff