• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Norwegian Star Review

Editor Rating
3 Awards

Paid a bit extra just for the route but cruise ship was not worth the money

Review for Norwegian Star to the Mediterranean
xImTheMottox
First Time Cruiser • Age 20s

Sail Date: May 2018
Cabin: Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

My husband and I chose this cruise because of the route and knowingly paid a little more than average. The cruise ship wasn't worth the price we paid. Will be traveling with a different cruise line or ship in the future. We were extremely disappointed in the seafood options (pretty much only fish, shrimp, and calamari- even in the specialty dining restaurants). Most staff were all very professional and seemed happy to be there. We experienced very few unpleasant staff, which is super compared to the attitude we witnessed people giving the staff. The game shows were hilarious but there were times the assistant cruise director, Marzena was unnecessarily rude to her "assistant" (I think his name was Patrick). He played it well and went along with it but I wasn't impressed. I never saw her inappropriate or rude with anyone else and she intentionally pretended her attitude toward Patrick was a joke for the show. I wasn't pleased with the tender boat operations as it seemed very unorganized. The ship had to leave people at ports and even waited for some to return. The cruise ship had to collect our passports on day 1 and didn't return them until the last day which was very concerning when we left the ship at ports (thankfully my husband and I live in Europe so we had European ID's when an ID was needed). Pool was freezing everyday. Even though it was extremely hot and sunny, I still wasn't able to get into the pool because it was so cold. I surprised to learn it was water from the Sea (lots of salt). One of the main hot tubs didn't work so the water was just still constantly. Most of the others didn't work correctly (the jets would only stay on for 2-3 minutes at times). the area in the very back of the ship with 2 hot tubs and a bar was closed for the majority of the cruise. We learned the ship went through an extensive makeover immediately prior to our arrival, which was very evident in the spa but not necessarily anywhere else. Would have been significantly more impressed if we'd paid 70% of what we did. Was really hoping for a better experience on the boat.

Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

Cabin OB

I was impressed with the overall set up of the room. The shower leaked pretty bad on the floor. We didn't have a television remote for the first two days and the tv didn't have signal for the first.

Port Reviews

Monaco (Monte Carlo)

Beautiful city that I will visit over and over again.

Florence (Livorno)

Loved the leaning tower of Pisa, but didn't want to travel all the way to Florence (about an hour from port).

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Rome was about an hour and a half from port and we wished we would have taken an excursion. We would have if they weren't so expensive.

Naples

Was not pleased with the city but did enjoy some pizza for cheap. The city was dirty and we constantly felt like we were in a bad part of the city.

Santorini

Santori was BEAUTIFUL. But the tender boat operations took too long and was frustrating.

Athens (Piraeus)

Greece is overall wonderful.

Zadar

Croatia is beautiful. Sea Organ is a MUST-SEE.

Venice

Venice is nearly my favorite city in Europe. Would love to take a waterbus as part of my daily work commute.

10 Helpful Vote