Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review

Eclipse 28 May 2018

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by fasterflier

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea

Liked the itinerary. Food was just ok. I lost 8 lbs on the cruise so maybe a ship with just fair food is good. Most of we Americans need to lose weight anyhow.

However, in 2014 we were on the Oceania Marina and it was the best cruise food I ever had since Sitmar's the Fairwind. I do not believe in spending more money than your cruise fare so I skip the luxury restaurants on a ship except when they are included with the booking, e.g. Oceania.

The Eclipse is a beautiful ship and the largest I have been on and I prefer smaller than 3000 passengers. The Ocean Cafe on deck 14 often looked like"Vulture City" but the breakfasts were better than the MDR. Cruisecritic had a couple get togethers and they had a nice presence on the ship. We are all lucky to have Cruisecritic as a partner to our sailings.

We had a nice cabin forward (family cabin). Other than the carpet could use a shampooing, it was very nice.

Celebrity asked us pre cruise (booking) if we were celebrating a special occasion, which we were and anniversary and then did nothing for it. That was probably ok, though because I didn't need an extra cake.

Their desserts for the most part we good and the waiter we had, Walter, was terrific. Always had a smile to greet us.

All in all, our cruise was a good value and I am glad to be down to 152 lbs.

fasterflier's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Family 7107

Good roomy cabin very forward in the bow which I like and my wife not.

Dublin

We pre booked 5 nights in Dublin renting a penthouse in suburban Dublin. Took Irish Rail one day to Gallway. Ireland has a good transportation system and it pays to buy a 3 day Leap Pass should you be in the area for 3 days or 4.

Nice lunch one day at the Gresham Hotel. We found Dublin easy to get around.

Reykjavik

We rented a 9 px van with two other couples and drove around Iceland. Very expensive country but beautiful and interesting. Eurocar is right at the port though I rented from Hertz who picked us up at the port.

Akureyri

Rented a vehicle here with the same couples and we had a joyous day. The people are so nice in Iceland.

Lerwick (Shetland Islands)

Hired a taxi who was also a tour driver and he showed us around the island (3 couples).

Cobh (Cork)

Did not do ship tour but were on our own. Took the train from Cobh to Cork which is a short ride and then the 512 city bus to Blarney. The line to see the castle was over 1 1/2 hrs...time we did not have but walked around the Blarney Castle grounds. If you want to see the castle grounds I suggest prepay online, for it is cheaper and you present your payment form for admittance. I was sorry we did not see the museum in Cobh which would have been more interesting. I think Blarney Castle is overrated and expensive plus takes awhile to get there.

fasterflier