3. Carnival Triumph
For years, my wife has been wanting to go on a cruise but I was leery due to being prone to motion sickness. After pricing other vacations I realized how affordable it would be to cruise and I needed to face some fears! We decided on Carnival due to recommendations from friends and the nearness of the Port of New Orleans. I decided a 5 day cruise would be best since there was only (1) day at sea before the first port and (1) day at sea on the way back. Embarkation was fast and easy! We arrived at the terminal at 10:30 am and was on the ship by 11:15 am. Once we got on the ship there was food already available on the Lido deck. We ate at Guy's Burger Joint and then had ice cream for dessert. We were able to access our stateroom at 1:30 pm and our luggage was waiting at the door. The worst part of the whole cruise is the safety training, which is mostly the fault of the other passengers not listening to directions. In our Muster area I was right by a speaker and it almost blew my ear off during the safety announcements. I used the seasick "patch" and i'm glad I did. My wife, who has never had a problem with seasickness and has cruised before, admitted that the seas seemed rough. Thankfully, I never felt the first symptom of seasickness. I believe I would have without the patch. There were several other people wearing patches and it was a point of discussion with several passengers who did not know what is was used for. On our first sea day, we had fun laying out on the Lido deck, taking in the sun and eating burgers. Guy's Burger Joint, the Deli and the Pizza Pirate is great! The buffet, not so much. Also, I was fairly disappointed with the Paris dining room food although sea day brunch was great! All of the dining and food staff were exceptional. We talked to several of them and were amazed (and concerned) about the length they stay at sea and the hours they work. They never complained and all do a great job! We had an excursion to Passion Island in Cozumel which was fun except for the hour of rain as soon as we got to the island. We made the best of it and even had time for some brief shopping in Cozumel after the excursion. The next port was Progreso. I would suggest to have a excursion for this port or stay on the ship. Our excursion in Progreso was the VIP to Chiche'n Itza and the Cenote. There was a 2 hour bus ride and annoying people selling souvenirs but this excursion was amazing! The sea day back home was great but bittersweet since it was the last day of our vacation. We made the most of it! The Punchline comedy club was great! I suggest getting to the show extra early or you will not find a seat. We also enjoyed the other entertainment options. The casino was fun the first few days when the slots were loose but then they tightened up and all the fun ended. We were constantly asked to take pictures and as annoying as it was we had some great pics to purchase at Pixels. We purchased the WiFi "Value" package but the service is horrible. Unless you absolutely need to check email, I would suggest the social package and message people using Facebook messenger or some other means through social media. We also purchasing the bubbles package for both my wife and I and I think I would have been better off lugging a 12pk per person than to pay what we paid for the packages. Towards the end of the cruise I was refilling my cup just to account for the cost. Disembarkation was a slower process but not too bad. I suggest eating breakfast prior to disembarkation since there is a lot of standing. We chose express disembarkation and was off the ship by 9:30 am. Customs was fast. There are really clean bathrooms outside at the pickup area once you exit the terminal. Probably the cleanest bathrooms in New Orleans. Some suggestions for first time cruisers: First, read the reviews but only believe about 30% of the negative reviews. Be sure to look at what month and year the review was submitted. Second, if you are prone to or worried about seasickness get the prescription patch from your doctor. Lastly, if you get a drink package, make sure to bring a Yetti cup or some type of large cup. The cups from the bar are small. In closing, my wife and I had a great time and we have already booked our next cruise with Carnival. I have caught the cruising bug! We are going to a few different ports for our next cruise so we will be on a different ship but I would cruise on the Triumph again in the future.

Believe Half of the Negative Reviews!

Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by MarkShark

MarkShark’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Triumph price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8B 6391
The cabin had signs of aging but was not extremely bad. Like I mentioned in my review, I knew what to expect from the ship so I did not think the cabin would be like a room at the Ritz Carlton. AC was cool and the bed was comfy. The view from the balcony was awesome, especially when pulling into ports!
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cozumel
    The island was beautiful and our guides were great! The negative part is the food was terrible and the price of souvenirs are seemed high compared to the same items in Cozumel. It rained for the first hour we were there so we only go about 2 hours of actual beach time. The excursion should start at 8 am, be on the island by 9 am to give you 5 hours or so of beach time. I recommend the excursion but also agree there should be more time allotted.
    View All 12,811 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews