3. Magellan
Just to counter the negative reviews from others. We chose this cruise because it went up the Amazon and it was being heavily advertised and discounted just prior to departure. We never actually thought we would cruise, and most of the downsides I imagined were there, but there wasn't really anything I hadn't predicted, so the upsides more than made up for it. I want three things from a holiday. Destination, destination, destination. More seriously, destination, a clean bed and some food and drink. So, the places we went were amazing, we upgraded to a suite so the bed was amazing,and the food was really good. Downsides? There were some opinionated, rude people on the cruise who felt entitled to be treated better than everyone else. But I expected that and they weren't all like that. The entertainment was stuck in the 1970s. But I expected that and I wasn't really bothered. CMV didn't have an onboard naturalist so many people left feeling that they had not seen any wildlife, which was disappointing. Boca de Valeria was so false. The organised onshore excursions were horrible - look out the window, sorry we missed it, five minutes to take a photo then back on the bus, don't stop there, hurry up, and now lets spend ages in my brother's/Cousin's/friend's cafe. But then I expected that. Upsides. I went up the Amazon. I found a brilliant guide to take me to interesting places in Manaus. I loved Cabo Verde. I loved the Azores. Tobago was brilliant. Grenada was brilliant. St Lucia looked brilliant but I ran out of time. We travelled to all these amazing places and never had to repack our bags once. I'm doing it all again, but it will all be about the destinations, and what we make of it.

It's what you make of it

Magellan Cruise Review by Mike Pennington

I want three things from a holiday. Destination, destination, destination.

Mike Pennington’s Full Rating Summary