3. Ruby Princess
Ruby Princess, May 2018, L311 ** For the BIG people ** I am 6'3, 350+ pounds with limited walking ability, and I chose to cruise Alaska. If you’re bigger, here is what you need to know. The cruising industry seems to follow the airline standard of 'size'. Nearly every chair on board (except near pools) had hard armrest and was 18” to 19” wide. If you don’t fit into an airplane seat, you need to make note of options (below). Dining Room - the staff was great at making arrangements. I simply asked for a chair with no arms and they would make it work. I found that after the first day, they just recognized me and made it happen. Either a small table out of the way or getting the right chair to a table of random "happy" folks. I also would note that during peak dining times, the temperature became very warm very fast. Like the A/C was unable to handle the crowds very well. If your warm blooded, avoid peak hours (or bring a small portable fan like me). The lounges have various benches or booths and I could fit somewhat into the lounge chairs, it was just tight and uncomfortable. If you are seeing a 'show' in explorers or any lounge, arrive early and find a bench. Princess Theater. Arrive early and head to Princess theater from level 6, the seats near the stage. On each end of each row is a seat that has a lifting armrest. These go fast. Be prepared to stand to let people in, but I'm not sure I could have watched a show without those seats. Princess theater is hard armrest and airline width. Walking. Expect to walk a max of 1 football field to get from one place to another on ship and 1-3 fields to get on/off the boat. Most Alaska Ports have bus pickup very near the gangway, Victoria was 2-3 ship lengths. Also, expect lines getting on/off especially right after arriving at port. There are also short lines for dining during peak hours, but they move fast. If you can not stand for very long, bring a portable stool. ... and yes, the shower was small. Very small. Bring a shower brush, but if I can do it, anyone can. It’s just … small. ** End of Big People.** First Timers! Shows are not repeated, tomorrow is always something different. Go see the shows. The Magician was good (and funny), the comedian (Steve Caouette) was fantastic (both times we saw him). The cute little game shows they do are also a lot of fun. Do not sit in your room, you can rest after vacation is over. They have a buffet, and you would be well served to never visit it. Not that it was bad, it was quite good the two times we ate breakfast there, but the dining room is awesome! Great service, great food. Eat in the dining room at least 2x per day. Youtube or cruise critic before you cruise. They have dozens of great ideas that were helpful before I set sail. Use ONENOTE or something similar to download deck plans to your phone, it's nice to know where your headed before you get up and wander aimlessly. If you book a balcony, try for Port side. Margorie Glacier is on port first and longest, when they turned around, it was only partially on Starboard. Also, all the Ports are on Port side. Better views of the ports.

Rubeus Hagrid goes sailing.

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by Dailach

Get Ruby Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BE L311
Ruby Princess, Lido 311
L311 balcony is obstructed partially. Off of the balcony toward midship is a 4’ wall that protrudes outward blocking any view rearward. The view from this cabin is from bow (0 degrees) to strait out starboard (90 degrees). Even one or two cabins forward would allow for a much wider view. This cabin is also on Lido, there are deck chairs above you, and you can hear them set them up each morning. It’s not bad, but if you’re a light sleeper who sleeps in, choose a cabin with cabins above/below. Also, L311 is adjacent to the exterior doors on Lido deck and I saw people asking about these on Cruise Critic. I had an issue the first night, rough waters in middle of the night was causing the exterior door to bang every few seconds. It annoyed me enough to set out on a 3am mission to find the exterior doors had closed incorrectly, not looking one of the doors. A few quick fixes and the doors were unheard from within the cabin. The corridor from Lido to the elevators was also very seldom used (another asked question). Only noise in that cabin was the deck chairs. I recommend a slightly lower Lido deck number, and even (port side) for views.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Glacier Bay
    You can not imagine the awe inspiring reaction you get here. No video can prepare you for the sights and sounds of Marjorie Glacier. If i only saw this on the trip, it may have been worth it.
    View All 749 Glacier Bay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Glacier Bay Cruise Port Review
  • Whale Watching
    JNU610A Whale watching & Wildlife Quest 21May18

Chose this because the larger boats have bathrooms. Turned out to be a good idea. On that day, only the larger boats went out. Many people on the ship complained that their whale tour was canceled do to weather. Our tour was nice, humpbacks are less fun than Orca's IMO. Truly, you just don't see much more than a quick back, and it seems only at a fair distance.
    View All 841 Whale Watching Reviews
  • Misty Fjords Flightseeing
    Expensive, but beautiful. Not sure we would pay $600 for a 1 hour flight again, but we are glad we did it. Landed on the most amazing fresh water lake surround by granite walls. Walls, not mountains, I swear they were strait up and down.
    View All 154 Misty Fjords Flightseeing Reviews
  • White Pass Scenic Railway
    Train was packed, but I don't think I was inside the train for more than 30 minutes total. What a beautiful ride. Bonus, the first train up continues 7 miles further than the pass to turn around, while everyone else does the switcheroo at the pass. We got lucky this time, not sure you can plan that. (note: seats are somewhat small if you have 2 larger persons).
    View All 1,105 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
  • Horse-Drawn Carriage Tour
    Had a pretty decent wait for our Carriage, near to an hour beyond our schedule time, but it was informative and fun. Some nice views, thou I wish they did more in downtown. Note: I am from Seattle, I never wore a jacket, even outside on the train in the snow. Bring a jacket on this one, they can have some serious wind chill in the evenings.
    View All 31 Horse-Drawn Carriage Tour Reviews