Emerald Destiny Cruise Review

Trip of a Lifetime!

Emerald Destiny Cruise Review by Sheila S

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Europe River

I do not have enough superlatives in my vocabulary to adequately describe my experience aboard the Emerald Destiny! From the moment I arrived at the dock to the time I left the ship, I was made to feel important and pampered in every way.

Balage, the cruise director worked literally non-stop to make sure every detail was taken care of. As well, he organized amazing tours and special events on board so that everyone was entertained every day. I am amazed at how many "balls he keeps in the air" at once, never dropping any!

There were so many stand out events, but the special events of the lock party and bbq on the top deck were so much fun. As well, the demonstrations of glass blowing, towel creations, and soup making were extremely interesting. Aside from that, the pre-dinner entertainment of zither playing, a German "oom pa pa" band and Hungarian folk show were professional and fun. I can't say enough. Zoran, the ship's musician was also great! The daily excursions which were included with the cruise were always informative, but the extras were what really stood out. The guides at each port were outstanding!

The crew was also so skilled at their jobs. The kitchen staff and servers were friendly and funny while being consummate professionals. I have a food allergy which was taken care of at every meal. If I needed a substitution, the answer to my query was always "of course, no problem." The quality of the food was outstanding in every way. The servers in the lounge were always ready and willing to provide the best service to every guest. The Destiny always shone from bow to stern, thanks to the housekeepers who never stopped making the ship beautiful. I also admired the crew who made sure our ship was secure while navigating the locks along the way. Talk about hard work! These guys were amazing. I never got tired of watching them do what they would say is an"ordinary" job. I can't forget to mention the front desk staff. They too were so eager to help in any way, and were very friendly. No request was too small or irrelevant to honour.

Finally, no review would be complete without a shout out to Captain Jasper who looked after everyone, every day. He is superbly skilled and very personable - always willing to answer questions about his job.

If you are thinking of taking a significant holiday, this is IT! There could be no better way to go! Don't just think about going with Emerald - DO IT!

Sheila S's Full Rating Summary

Cabin single 100

No single supplement with this company! Yay! Cabin was small, but I had lots of room for my things. I loved it.

Canal Tour

Unhurried, with great guide.

View All 311 Canal Tour Reviews
City Tour

Unhurried with great guide.

View All 125 City Tour Reviews
Nuremberg

Guide was inexperienced, and spent too long in one place, then had to hurry through rest. Documentation centre was disappointing because the audio guides didn't work well, and the displays were mostly in German with no English sections. I was disappointed in this one, but did enjoy some parts of it.

St. Stephen's Cathedral

Unhurried with great guide.

View All 112 St. Stephen's Cathedral Reviews
Melk Abbey

Disappointed we couldn't take pictures, because it's amazing.

View All 182 Melk Abbey Reviews
Schonbrunn Palace

tour of the palace was lovely, but don't waste your money on the tour of the gardens. The carriage ride goes around the perimeter, but you don't actually see much. Take the time to wander around on your own instead.

View All 179 Schonbrunn Palace Reviews
Bratislava

Home hosted visit was outstanding! Beautiful home, people and afternoon cake, coffee and wine tasting.

Sheila S