3. Celebrity Silhouette
This was our first cruise with Celebrity - we cruised for the first time with Norwegian last year. Our main reason for choosing Celebrity was the destinations , particularly St. Petersburg. We parked our car in the adjacent car park, which is very convenient, although when we returned to it, we were horrified to find it was covered in a greasy, oily filth which had dropped on it from some "cherrypickers" parked in an adjoining property. The windscreen washer wouldn't shift it and I had to use some alcohol wipes to scrape away a clear panel to look through. Once home, I spent 2 full days cleaning, clay barring, compounding and finally polishing the car to get it back to its former condition! So I strongly recommend DO NOT park anywhere near the cherry pickers. Anyway back to the cruise - checking in at our allotted time was a breeze, although we received contradictory emails as to the time we were required to check in. Our cabin was clean and well presented, although the wardrobe door had seen better days and the drawer fronts were a bit loose. It seemed to me that the spec. of the furniture was not really up to the task of continuous use as subject to on a cruise ship. Mario, our cabin attendant, introduced himself and showed us all the features of the cabin - we found him to be very friendly and helpful, a credit indeed to the company as were all the staff we dealt with. We initially chose the 6:15 dinner sitting and since we requested this way back when making the original booking, were disappointed to find ourselves being shown to a table with 8 strangers. It felt most awkward as though we were intruding at a private party.After a word with the maitre d for the rest of the cruise we were assigned our own table although we had to switch to the 8:30 sitting to get a table. The food in the main dining room was faultless as were the staff:Joel, Polina and Carmen were the epitome of friendliness and service! The entertainment was just brilliant: the band playing as we boarded to the evening "Jazz Walkers" - sublime. The comedian in the Theatre very funny. I especially enjoyed the talks given by the crew on Navigation, how the ship works etc. but found one or two of the activities such as 'quizzes' a trifle lame, - -a bit Hi-de Hi! The service was perfect - the staff seem to be very hard working but always polite and friendly. Whatever they get paid, I think they are worth quite a bit more. We decided to do self guided tours of the ports except for St. Petersburg and it worked well for us. The hop on-hop off buses are fairly good although we had problems with the headsets only working intermittently, which was a bit frustrating. We booked the 2 day tour of St. Petersburg through Celebrity to avoid the visa saga and overall enjoyed it. The 2 guides on our bus were great and kept us well informed, although again, the headsets were occasionally a problem, which given the price of the tour, was slightly disappointing - I felt sorry for our tour guide as she was visibly embarrassed by the frequent need to fiddle with the intercom system. We really liked exploring St. Petersburg and have vowed to return out of season when the place is not so overrun with cruise tourists! I do wonder how long it will be before action is taken to control the volume of tourists visiting these 'honeypot' sites.

Superb holiday in every way!

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Nigel F

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda

Nigel F’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 2A 7163
Overall: excellent. Good size, quite well laid out and clean.
Would like to see a power point for the electric toothbrush( the shaver point wasn't suitable as it's too high).
As mentioned above, the furniture was getting past its best and the veranda door handle is a poor design as it fouls on the fixed door or the frame when the door was opened or closed, possibly causing a crush injury to your hand.
Sunrise Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins