Golden Princess Cruise Review

Older Ship, Arrogant Ship Staff, Great Dining Staff, Above Average Food

Golden Princess Cruise Review by Eddy and the Cruiser

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Alaska

We had heard wonderful things about Princess and have always wanted to cruise Alaska. Our embarkation was smooth and our room was good. After a 5 day land tour, we were looking forward to relaxing during the first two days of glacier cruising. The first day, we awoke to noxious paint fumes. After 4 calls to Guest Services (the first two calls went to no one answering the phone), I went down to the GS desk--the manager said there was no smell, he then agreed to come to my stateroom and check. Sure enough, he admitted there was a terrible smell in the hallway and in the room. He then said, "His job was to apologize and my job was to not upset other passengers." My response -- Your job is to apologize, fix it and then make it up to me. As for me speaking with other passengers, I have every right to talk with anyone I want.

Then -- on to the internet desk. I paid in advance for 120 minutes of wifi -- my account only showed 110 minutes. The man at the internet desk immediately told me I didn't have an account -- when I logged in and show him that I did indeed have an account, he then told me I had created the account incorrectly and that the problem was me. He then fixed the issue within 60 sec after insulting me -- then makes matters worse by telling me that I should be appreciative because he didn't have to give me my additional prepaid minutes.

Now let's move to the Excursion desk -- we signed up fora day long excursion because we wanted to ride on the Whitepass Yukon Railroad. The train never arrived due to an engine problem. The man at the excursion desk told us we would get a 50% refund. At this point, he picked up our cruise card -- when we went to take it, he gave us a lecture of being more careful with our card and then PULLED it back so we couldn't retrieve it. We reached out a second time to take the card and he did it again!! He finally gave us our Cruise card on the third try.

Overall, we enjoyed our trip but the overview is something is wrong with how these people are trained -- it has to come from the top. We have cruised with Royal Caribbean and NCL -- we have never encountered such arrogance. It even rolled down to the security as you boarded in the ports -- no one said please, thank you -- just ordered you around. I even had one security guard take his finger and hit the bill of my hat.

The Dining rooms including both upscale restaurants were outstanding -- food was good, the service was excellent and the staff friendly and polite. Maybe Pepe should run the entire ship!!!

Don't even get us started on finding our luggage at disembarkation in Vancouver -- an absolute zoo.

Eddy and the Cruiser's Full Rating Summary

White Pass Scenic Railway

We didn't get to ride on the Railway

View All 1212 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
Best of Juneau

Best day -- saw all kinds of wildlife -- boat was not over crowded -- delicious salmon cookout and the Hubbard Glacier is amazing

View All 57 Best of Juneau Reviews
Duck Tour

Not what we were expecting -- on other city Duck Tours, there is a lot of fun and joking, etc. This was sedate.

View All 140 Duck Tour Reviews