3. Pacific Jewel
Just to preface this review, we had previously cruised on the P & O Pacific Dawn 8 months ago out of Brisbane (Balcony room) on the 7 night Island Hopper and could not fault anything. It was brilliant. This time we chose to splash out on a Mini Suite and convinced our parents to try a cruise for the first time. So they booked a Suite too. We sailed on an 8 nighter to Fiji. From day 1 we couldn't sleep. We had the pleasure of having bins and loungers and various other items stored directly above our room on 12. It was SO noisy. You could hear constant thumping, people running, chairs scraping. Sometimes late at night and every single morning like clockwork just before 6am. During the day it was too noisy to take a nap. Our Room Stewards were nice but a little inefficient. We had to repeatedly ask for beach towels as after shore days we would leave them in the beach towel bins when coming back to the ship. We'd get back to our room to freshen up and then go up to 12 to swim or lounge around and we'd have to wait for 2 more towels. They should have just done them when they serviced our room each day. Also our room was only serviced in the afternoon so often there were plates outside our door for hours at a time. Despite us getting up and out at 6am lol. Bed was comfy though! Food was atrocious. Pantry had cockroaches running around where you get the sauces etc. Same food day in and day out. I don't think we ever had a warm meal either in the Pantry or Waterfront. It was constantly served cold or lukewarm. Even eggs being carried in from the kitchen and put directly on my plate were cold! And if you ordered any meat it was cooked so much that if you dropped it, it would have bounced from being over cooked! Waterfront was awful. However service there was fab. My parents are not fussy people and were seriously disappointed in the food, as were we. Their room on the other side of the ship than us, was under where chairs were moved every morning at 3am for over an hour so they didn't sleep well either. Oh and their A/C was faulty, then freezing, then didn't work at all, despite having someone come and look at it. The cocktails were so hit and miss it was not even worth having a drinks package, some were so gross and varied tremendously depending on who made them. One day I drank 5 Toblerone Cocktails in a short period of time and didn't even feel tiddly. It was like I had just drunk 5 chocolate shakes from McDonalds. The attitude of some of the staff members was quite indifferent. You'd be standing waiting for service at the bar and they'd take their time to even acknowledge you. Also the wait staff couldn't be found half the time to take your drink order so we gave up and just went to the bar ourselves. There were hardly any activities either. We resorted to trying to borrow a book from the library. But unlike the Dawn where it was an unlocked cupboard, the Jewel had a locked cupboard. So we'd go to this cupboard at the time advised but there would be no staff member in sight. This happened many many times. We left the book we actually managed to get at reception before disembarking because the person at the library was so unreliable. The music that they played repeatedly in the public areas (Pantry etc) drove us mad. The same few songs played over and over. As in like 5 songs. If I hear Katy Perry's 'Roar' again I will scream. Bad remakes of top 10 hits. Every day and night. We think they did it so people had their food and got out immediately. The music selection they had on the big screen on 12 was rubbish and inappropriate and SO loud we had to yell to each other so we could have a conversation. Kids were swimming in the Adults pool and nobody told them to get out. We retreated to the Oasis bar quite a bit but it stunk like an unwashed floor in the corner of a dodgy old Dim Sum restaurant and we got sick of having to get up off a lounger to get a drink as the waiter was more fond of chatting to passengers for long periods of time than taking drink orders. I could go on and on. It was SO blah. I just feel so gutted after our previous cruise being so great! What is P & O doing? My parents are never doing another cruise with P & O and we will not cruise on the Jewel again UNLESS it was free. lol. I contacted P & O with my feedback but haven't heard a word. Didn't expect to really. Go on this ship if you got your cruise at a bargain basement price, if your room is not on level 11, if you are with a bunch of people and you are going to be drinking and partying with so it doesn't matter if you sleep or not. If you want a relaxing time with great food, some tasty cocktails, excellent service and some quality sleep - give it a miss on the Jewel.

Absolutely disappointing and a little tragic

Pacific Jewel Cruise Review by Plopsy Cottontail