It was on a river , my wife has a motion sickness problem. The itinerary looked interesting. My wife uses an electric trike to travel any distance but it is not needed on board. The excursions all had a gentle options so we assumed we could cope. Unfortunately mainland Europe has not progress as far the UK and north america in disability access. Another problem was the boat was frequently double or triple parked so we had to get to the top deck, no lift to that and then go up and down over one or two other boats. The crew helped as much as they could but it was still a problem. No idea why they did that there seemed to be unused berths in places. My biggest problem was the quality of the shore excursions the guides seemed to pitch the talks at a very superficial level. The only ones I enjoyed were the tasting options when the guide or subject expert had the time to talk to us as adults. Of the other guests two thirds had booked as a group this appeared to limit social interaction. Given the price I ticked the luxury box and marked accordingly. Enrichment activities not sure any were offered. They had a resident pianist, bland, inoffensive and quiet. Fitness room had a treadmill, 2 bikes and a high tech multi-gym with virtually no instructions, I would have preferred an elliptical machine instead of the second bike. Never saw any of the machines in use. One guide I found really irritating referred repeatedly to the visit the Royal Air Force made to her town on 16/4/1945 and yes we did flatten most of it but we were at war. Very difficult to avoid asking what here parents did in the war years. Another tour the guide sent most time talking about basket ball (ex pro 7ft 2inch) of no interest to me and not what I paid for. We found the almost total absence of both bird life and fishermen along the rivers interesting makes you wounder what is in the water. In-spite of the crew and the food being excellent we would not repeat this or try another cruise.

Cruise virgins, the first and last.

AmaLea Cruise Review by iainrm

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Outside Stateroom with French Balcony and Outside Balcony

Enrichment activities not sure any were offered.

They had a resident pianist, bland, inoffensive and quiet.

iainrm’s Full Rating Summary
Get AmaWaterways AmaLea price drops

Outside Stateroom with French Balcony and Outside Balcony
Cabin AA 310
New boat so everything looked new and was of high quality.
The entertainment system for me had two problems.
The ship had a bow camera with a resolution far inferior to what the system could display this seemed a very cheapskate option given the price of the technology today.
Why provide an Apple system when 95% of the world uses windows, this was highlighted when on the last day we were given instructions on how to use an Apple mouse to complete the survey. Only very basic functions had been left enabled so a smart phone was of more use.
Violin Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins