Aegean Odyssey Cruise Review

Perfect small ship size, but ship needs renovation and shore excursions rushed

Aegean Odyssey Cruise Review by TravellerWorldwide

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean

We travelled with Road Scholar, about 20 of us. We had our own guides separate from the what was provided to the other passengers on the ship.

Pros

- Nice size ship, under 300. Easy on/off. Restaurants not modded.

- Very nice crew

- Lovely outside deck for meals (there was also a restaurant inside, see below)

- Food quality good

- Good value

- Spa services good

Cons

- Ship needs renovation. Rooms looks like my dorm room from the 1970s -- without the posters. Desperate need of soundproofing: sitting in bed at night each night, I could hear two people in the next room recounting their day like they were in my room. Spa facilities a bit low end for the prices, though the practitioners were good

- At least on my level, there was frequently a septic smell in the hallways

- The staff is very friendly, but any special request is met with a blank face and sometimes panic. I don't know what the training is that they get, but it must be about discouraging special requests. There was also the battle to get a refill on a cup of coffee each morning.

- The shore excursions were rushed. For Road Scholar shore excursions, we went on our own, but we pretty much tracked with the ship. I don't know if this was required. We moved so quickly through sites that there was no time to sit and appreciate what we were seeing -- or to stop by the museum shop to pick up a book. It's not because we were sailing. We'd often sit in port for hours after, meaning endless rows of souvenirs shops.

- The food was dull and repetitive. You would never know we were in the Mediterranean. For some reason, there was an "Asian Buffet Night". I assume most clients of this line want familiar food and that's fine, but I wanted an English type menu, I'd have gone to England.

- We went along with the ship on two of their excursions that were really disappointing. First, Murano Island, which was solely a buying trip. We were discouraged from exploring the island outside the factory that we were brought to. The guide said "there's nothing see" which I knew wasn't true because I'd been before on my own. The guide also discouraged us from checking other shops/studios on the island. When I exited the shop to just look at the scenery, I was encouraged by the guide to go back in and do more shopping. What a scam! Second, the Scuola Grande di San Rocco. We went at night. The site takes about 15 minutes to go through. The paintings are all copies. There was a reception for us, consisting of sparkling wine and little quiche cups things (we were ready for dinner by then). It took up the whole evening. Total waste of time given all the pleasures Venice has to offer. Groups of passengers started going back to the ship earlier than planned because there was so little to see at the site -- and the ship, which was going to have dinner for us, said we had to wait until 10p. This is when the mask of geniality dropped and instead out came hostility. There's no flexibility or improvisation, which is what really makes good service.

In summary: Road Scholar elevated my experience on the tour, but the ship is run-down and I wouldn't take a trip with them again.

TravellerWorldwide's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Columbia 400s

See comments above

Acropolis

Great site, not enough time allotted.

View All 390 Acropolis Reviews
Murano Island

Felt like scam to get us to buy things.

View All 63 Murano Island Reviews

For a Venice site, boring. The one excursion not rushed -- and at a site that little too offer. Poor selection and poor planning/managing by the ship. I would encourage friends to go with Road Scholar, although I would very much discourage them from going on doing these Venice excursions through the ship.

View All undefined undefined Reviews