3. Aegean Odyssey
We travelled with Road Scholar, about 20 of us. We had our own guides separate from the what was provided to the other passengers on the ship. Pros - Nice size ship, under 300. Easy on/off. Restaurants not modded. - Very nice crew - Lovely outside deck for meals (there was also a restaurant inside, see below) - Food quality good - Good value - Spa services good Cons - Ship needs renovation. Rooms looks like my dorm room from the 1970s -- without the posters. Desperate need of soundproofing: sitting in bed at night each night, I could hear two people in the next room recounting their day like they were in my room. Spa facilities a bit low end for the prices, though the practitioners were good - At least on my level, there was frequently a septic smell in the hallways - The staff is very friendly, but any special request is met with a blank face and sometimes panic. I don't know what the training is that they get, but it must be about discouraging special requests. There was also the battle to get a refill on a cup of coffee each morning. - The shore excursions were rushed. For Road Scholar shore excursions, we went on our own, but we pretty much tracked with the ship. I don't know if this was required. We moved so quickly through sites that there was no time to sit and appreciate what we were seeing -- or to stop by the museum shop to pick up a book. It's not because we were sailing. We'd often sit in port for hours after, meaning endless rows of souvenirs shops. - The food was dull and repetitive. You would never know we were in the Mediterranean. For some reason, there was an "Asian Buffet Night". I assume most clients of this line want familiar food and that's fine, but I wanted an English type menu, I'd have gone to England. - We went along with the ship on two of their excursions that were really disappointing. First, Murano Island, which was solely a buying trip. We were discouraged from exploring the island outside the factory that we were brought to. The guide said "there's nothing see" which I knew wasn't true because I'd been before on my own. The guide also discouraged us from checking other shops/studios on the island. When I exited the shop to just look at the scenery, I was encouraged by the guide to go back in and do more shopping. What a scam! Second, the Scuola Grande di San Rocco. We went at night. The site takes about 15 minutes to go through. The paintings are all copies. There was a reception for us, consisting of sparkling wine and little quiche cups things (we were ready for dinner by then). It took up the whole evening. Total waste of time given all the pleasures Venice has to offer. Groups of passengers started going back to the ship earlier than planned because there was so little to see at the site -- and the ship, which was going to have dinner for us, said we had to wait until 10p. This is when the mask of geniality dropped and instead out came hostility. There's no flexibility or improvisation, which is what really makes good service. In summary: Road Scholar elevated my experience on the tour, but the ship is run-down and I wouldn't take a trip with them again.

Perfect small ship size, but ship needs renovation and shore excursions rushed

Aegean Odyssey Cruise Review by TravellerWorldwide

Pros

- Nice size ship, under 300. Easy on/off. Restaurants not modded.

- Very nice crew

- Lovely outside deck for meals (there was also a restaurant inside, see below)

- Food quality good

- Good value

- Spa services good

Cons

- At least on my level, there was frequently a septic smell in the hallways

MDaniels, Customer Services has responded
Thank you for your review. A great deal of effort has been put into ensuring that the Aegean Odyssey offers comfortable and functional accommodation but your comments regarding the ship have been noted and will provide useful points of reference when the next programme of refurbishment is undertaken. We are also aware of how important the catering arrangements – and the excursions – are to the success of our cruises. Having checked the questionnaires that have been returned during the past month, we note that nearly 90% of those who completed them rated the food quality and menu selection in both restaurants to be good or excellent. A similar percentage rated the excursion programme to be good or excellent, and of course that is all very reassuring. However, it’s certainly no cause for complacency. Feedback of the kind you’ve provided, whether good or bad, is of immense value to us as we know it is only by listening to passengers that we can maintain and improve the service they receive. We can assure you we are committed to providing the best possible cruise experience for all our customers and we hope, despite your present reservations, that we may have the opportunity to demonstrate this by welcoming you back on board the Aegean Odyssey at some time in the not too distant future.
TravellerWorldwide’s Full Rating Summary