• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Marco Polo Review

Editor Rating
16 Awards

First ever cruise and this grand old lady had me hooked

Review for Marco Polo to the Baltic Sea
elles5
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: May 2018
Cabin:

The Itinerary suited us but sailing from Cardiff clinched it. Knowing nothing at all about cruise lines I booked on impulse. Then, I found cruisecritic and how critical some were about the Marco Polo! By the time out sailing date arrived I was filled with trepidation about poor food, bad service, and a generally bad trip.

I had read so much that my expectations were low but the first sight of the Marco Polo brought a lump to my throat, I had wanted for so long to experience a cruise, and here I was. Expecting the worst we were shown to our cabin where our cases which had only left us 20 minutes before, were outside the door. All four cases, yes I made all the classic first timer mistakes. Our cabin was exceptionally clean with enough storage space for everything.

We chose to eat in Marco's and as a vegetarian my only gripe was all the meat eaters digging into the vegetarian and vegan dishes. The food was always enjoyable, not gourmet certainly but I enjoyed every meal. I have crutches but am used to them but in the eleven nights I don't think I had a meal time where immediate assistance was not given as soon as I stood up. The service was outstanding and we stayed in Marco's for the whole cruise.

Cabin Premium twin Inner

More space than I thought, very comfortable but not keen on the hairdryer. Our cabin Steward was fine to begin with but for reasons I can't go into we regularly wiped down the surfaces ourselves. I was a little disappointed with his attitude but we just got on with it.

Find a Marco Polo Cruise