3. Marco Polo
The Itinerary suited us but sailing from Cardiff clinched it. Knowing nothing at all about cruise lines I booked on impulse. Then, I found cruisecritic and how critical some were about the Marco Polo! By the time out sailing date arrived I was filled with trepidation about poor food, bad service, and a generally bad trip. I had read so much that my expectations were low but the first sight of the Marco Polo brought a lump to my throat, I had wanted for so long to experience a cruise, and here I was. Expecting the worst we were shown to our cabin where our cases which had only left us 20 minutes before, were outside the door. All four cases, yes I made all the classic first timer mistakes. Our cabin was exceptionally clean with enough storage space for everything. We chose to eat in Marco's and as a vegetarian my only gripe was all the meat eaters digging into the vegetarian and vegan dishes. The food was always enjoyable, not gourmet certainly but I enjoyed every meal. I have crutches but am used to them but in the eleven nights I don't think I had a meal time where immediate assistance was not given as soon as I stood up. The service was outstanding and we stayed in Marco's for the whole cruise. I found the ship an absolute delight, obviously there were signs of age here and there but I loved the little nooks and crannies as well as the larger lounges. The one thing that I hadn't really considered was bad weather and it was very bad some days with access to decks restricted and queues forming at reception for seasickness pills. Our cruise was defined by the weather with us having to miss one of the Icelandic ports resulting in another sea day. Iceland was probably not the best destination for me, just not mobile enough for a lot of the excursions but I will never forget our tour of Eastern Iceland and the wonderful guide we had. Entertainment was varied, a one man band who made me laugh till I cried, and who sang beautifully as well. Being honest, the rest of the entertainment was a mixed bag, but the conditions were so bad on a couple of nights it was difficult to stand much less sing and dance. Marco Polo is not grand, she is not big, and in the type of weather we had you would never forget you were at sea. The gangway was difficult for me to negotiate but once on board I managed very well. For those used to large and modern ships I can see that the Marco Polo might not be enough but if I as able to I'd be back on her tomorrow, I really miss the old girl.

First ever cruise and this grand old lady had me hooked

Marco Polo Cruise Review by elles5

elles5’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Marco Polo price drops

More space than I thought, very comfortable but not keen on the hairdryer. Our cabin Steward was fine to begin with but for reasons I can't go into we regularly wiped down the surfaces ourselves. I was a little disappointed with his attitude but we just got on with it.
  Marco Polo Deck Plans