3. Costa Fascinosa
1. Cabin had layer of dust on furniture and carpet hadn't been cleaned in ages. It only got a good clean after complaining - only to be bitten by dust mites. Balcony furniture is in very poor shape and needs replacing. Hair dryer was broken and dangerous with parts exposed. 2. Food is mediocre and often recycled ie desserts available in restaurants the night before are recycled for breakfast the morning after or at tea time. No great variety available and tiny portions in the restaurants. Food sometimes was too salty and inedible. 3. Disastrous customer service where excursions are concerned. Although pre booked and confirmed by email by Costa nobody in the excursion office bothered to inform us that the required minimum for a particular excursion had not been reached and therefore it was cancelled. Ended up spending the day on board in Barcelona as no port wifi was available to be able to view alternative arrangements. Was eventually offered an excursion in a completely different language. Hospitality desk wasn't much help only advising me to take the problem up with the excursion office at 16.30 when the ship left Barcelona at 1700! Nobody dared disturb the tour manager to ask for compensation for the lost part of this cruise and on the last day was made to return to the cash office twice after 45 minutes as tour manager was not available before 7.30am. Local Malta agent SMS-Mondial totally unhelpful with tour leader's phone switched off and unavailable. Subsequent emails were ignored. English speaking rep Gemma promised to speak to tour manager to ask for compensation but studiously avoided me for rest of the cruise not even bothering to give any feedback on the problem. Was more interested in her British clients and my booking an alternative excursion for Marseille which had also been confirmed by Costa by email and subsequently cancelled without notice. Eventually charged me an extra €15 over and above the published price which I took to be Gemma's commission as she asked for the booking to be put on her account! Only got refunded this amount after much toing and froing and much hassle just before disembarking from ship on final day. Gemma also advised me 'to move on and forget about it and relax and enjoy the cruise'..... after it had been completely ruined by Costa themselves! 4. Dance floor was full of infants and toddlers and one had to be careful they were not trodden upon as parents were too busy enjoying themselves to look after their offspring. Absolutely no control over children who ran up and down corridors screaming and shouting. 5. Just before disembarking from ship on the Sunday I was bitten by what seemed to be a flea in the Cheri lounge on deck 5. Had to resort to medical care to get it seen to as the bites were on my right hand and wrist and finger and also on my abdomen and upper left arm. Bites on my wrist became infected. 6. Water is not available during dinner and one is obliged to buy a drinks package for plain water worth €36. If this is ordered by one person in the cabin and there are 2 people in the same cabin they have to be together as the package bought only shows on the cabin card of the person who placed the order. It cannot be split over two cabin cards which is ridiculous seeing as two friends travelling together are not always together all of the time whilst on board. 7. It took 3 days for a table with a decent view to be given to us. One evening we were seated at a table laid for 11 people when it could only hold 8 people comfortably. To add insult to injury we 6 were made to sit facing 5 empty seats whilst trying to eat all squashed up as the maitre d' absolutely refused to re set the table even though we explained that 3 people had left to go to the buffet and therefore there would be more space. Our view was of oxygen tanks and lifeboats on deck 4 in the Otto e Mezzo restaurant and we eventually got a table with a view after vociferously complaining to the local agent. 8. The 'entertainment' in the theatre wasn't much to write home about and was flat. The only enjoyable night was the concert by the male tenor. The rest is not worth mentioning. 9. The peace and quiet in the library was often disturbed by people chatting and discussing their receipts and it was only by shushing them that one got some quiet time to read. Plenty of other places to discuss financial problems but for some reason people would congregate in the library. Even the cruise advisor was in the library when they should have had a desk near the reception downstairs to discuss and advise clients. 10. Avoid the Samsara spa at all costs. I booked a taster session which promised 15 minutes each of a variety of services but ended up being given a most uncomfortable body scrub on curved mosaic couches. I wasn't even laid flat but made to bend forward over my knees whilst the beautician scrubbed my back whilst talking 15 to the dozen. The facial was just a quick wipe with 2 cotton pads and a mask plastered on and left on my skin. She didn't even bother to clean it off but sent me into the jacuzzi totally covered in oil and salt and my face mask and told me it was ok to rinse it off in the jacuzzi! She even.made me help her rub the salt/oil mixture on my legs! So much for being pampered. She then tried to sell me another treatment for €110 plus some toiletries which I refused thereby losing all interest in me. 11. The waiting staff was unhelpful and rude in the Otto e Mezzo deck 4 restaurant refusing to help when we had a seating problem and thumping down plates in front of us. We were made to feel very unwelcome and it was only after our table was changed that the situation improved. 12. The excursion staff seem to suffer from a 'take it or leave it' attitude as well as dementia as when I complained about why I was not informed that the excursion had been cancelled I was told that a note had been left in the post box outside our cabin. When I informed them no such paper had ever been placed there all I got was a shrug of the shoulders. Not even an apology or offer of compensation. Nothing at all. 13. The entire ship needs a thorough clean. The windows were filthy, streaked with dirt and difficult to see through. Even the balcony cabin glass was dirty. My advice is to totally avoud booking with Costa cruises as since their Concordia disaster the quality and service have drastically gone downhill.

Dreadful avoid at all costs

Costa Fascinosa Cruise Review by Patricia Pace

Patricia Pace’s Full Rating Summary
Get Costa Fascinosa price drops

Balcony Classic
Cabin BC 6270
For the money paid for this cabin I would say it is a rip off. Narrow with hardly any space to move, bedside table lamps not working and broken lampshades, dusty furniture and bathroom shelves, broken hair dryer with exposed parts, one socket in entire cabin for charging phones and camera batteries, dusty carpet. Expected much better for the money paid.
Tancredi Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins