3. Marella Discovery 2
My wife and I were on the first sailing of the Discovery 2, in 2017, when it was under the TUI flag has anything changed in a year? – Please read on. We booked for two weeks taking the Aegean Shores and Adriatic Explorer Cruises We decided to upgrade our cabin to deck 7 “inside plus” but hadn’t realised the affect that no natural light would have and definitely would not recommend this so-called upgrade. The food was good albeit repetitious in both the 47 Degrees and Gallery 47 Restaurants however both restaurants served a very good Merlot which was part of the all-inclusive package. In order to get to the evening entertainment a few times we had dinner in the Island buffet restaurant which offered a good range of well cooked dishes. The Islands restaurant is buffet service only. At breakfast and lunch times it is very overcrowded with people wandering around attempting to find somewhere to sit. At dinner time it is much less busy. Draught wine and beer is available at lunch and dinner times. The beer is good John Smiths bitter and Foster’s lager the wine is best left alone. On deck 9 there is the Snack Shack offering excellent fish and chips at lunch time and other items throughout the day. The all-inclusive package has degraded since our first trip. Bombay Sapphire Gin is now a supplement as are a number of the cocktails and I cannot understand why you have to pay for the bottle of temperate bottled water in the cabin. Most of the shows in the Broadway Show Lounge we had seen before with the exception of a very good comedian and a dance show that was choreographed by Anton Du Beke. In the evening entertainment in the Atrium area is very poor. There is either a singer – guitarist, with a limited repertoire who seems to suffer with laryngitis and what his voice lacks in quality is compensated for in terms of volume. Then there is the saxophonist loud, boring and if I hear Baker Street again I will not be responsible for my actions. And finally, a singer with a selection of songs from Oklahoma – simply awful. There is nowhere on Discovery 2 where, in the evening, you can sit and talk quietly without having you ears blown away – if there is we never found it. I did hear a fellow passenger raise this issue at reception however I never heard the reply. If I haven’t raised enough negative points here is the best one. As previously mentioned we were on the Discovery 2 first sailing so by coincidence we were on Discovery 2 for its first birthday. There was a birthday party around the pool with a cake and drinks the large video screen showed a continuous video of the ship being refitted. At the time we were moored in Venice where we had been for the day. The video screen then showed a singer who was on stage and she was singing “Time to say Goodbye” when the screen flickered and eventually went blank. At this time we were heading up the Grand Canal to the sea. We had been travelling for less than 30 minutes when the ship came to a stop. We were subsequently told that there had been a breakdown of the “propulsion system” and that we were going to be towed back to the berth we had just left. As a consequence we were berthed overnight in Venice whereas we should have been on our way to Split a town my wife and I had never visited and was one reason we booked this cruise. Therefore once the ship was repaired we spent yet another day at sea and the next port was Dubrovnik. As compensation for an extra day at sea and missing our visit to Split we were given a £25 credit each to our cabin bill which we consider to be a despicable gesture on the part of Marella. One positive note on which to finish. We were invited to a reception for previous cruise travellers, something Thomson or Tui had never bothered with before and hopefully is an indication that Marella feel that they should acknowledge customer loyalty.

Time to say goodbye.

Marella Discovery 2 Cruise Review by BazDurrent

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Greece

We booked for two weeks taking the Aegean Shores and Adriatic Explorer Cruises

BazDurrent’s Full Rating Summary
Get Marella Discovery 2 price drops

Inside Plus is an upgrade and has a bit more floor space. There was sufficient cupboard space for two travellers. Shower room was clean with an efficient shower. Cabin was kept clean by Hanna. Biggest negative aspect is the lack of any natural light we didn't appreciate this when we booked the trip and definitely would not do this again.

• Boat tour
    A little disappointed as the weather was overcast and threatened rain. To enjoy this trip you had to be outside and space was limited if you stayed inside the trip would have been a total waste of money.
    View All 41 Boat tour Reviews