3. Celebrity Equinox
We chose this cruise on Celebrity Equinox because both my wife and I celebrate our 60th birthdays this year and it was to be a special vacation for us. So much so that we “splashed the cash” and reserved an aft corner S1 Sky Suite (Cabin 1403 on Deck 10, port side). Check in went very quickly and smoothly and we were on board just after 11:00, being met with a glass of champagne and our stateroom was ready by 13.30. Being Suite class probably helped, but the impression I had was this was much the same for everyone. Disembarkation at the end of the cruise was also very easy, although again being Suite Class we were given special bag tags to allow us to leave whenever we wanted. The ship was spotless and it was kept that way throughout the cruise and for the most part the service was excellent. My only complaint relating to service, was that at peak times, getting a drink in places such as the Martini Bar and Café al Baccio could be difficult. I am not a patient man and gave up twice in these places after what I considered to be a reasonable time. However, if you stay away from the popular bars at times of high volumes, service was quick and excellent and came with a smile on the face. Food on the ship was mixed. I was very disappointed by the food in Luminae. I expected much more. The selection was limited and the food pairings strange and although you could order from the MDR menu, the options were limited in my opinion. We sent two items back on the first two days; one for being undercooked, the other for being overcooked. Don’t get me wrong, the service was excellent and a special mention to Marlon our waiter who tried his best to accommodate us, but it was just not what I expected. You get bigger and better menus in restaurants in town. Anyway after a few nights we just gave up and went to the buffet upstairs for all our meals. The buffet was wonderful in my opinion. It had a large selection of well cooked foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with some items, cooked to order if you wanted. As for the room, we did not realise that part of the balcony had an obstructed view because of some machinery. This was not made obvious to us at the time of booking. Maybe I missed that. However, that being said, the balcony was large and a pleasure to use when shaded from the sun or when the sun went down. Not being a lover of direct sunshine, I expected more shade on the balcony during the day but for the most part there was none. I guess being in the aft corner of the ship did not help although the views in some ports were amazing. The patio and port hole windows in the room made it light and bright during the day but as has been remarked before there is a structural pole through the middle of the room. This did not bother my wife or I, but I could see why it might bother others. If I do have a complaint about the room, it would be that the bathroom, was not much bigger than a normal cabin and could have been larger given the space in the rest of the room. Be aware, that the shower is in the bath and on a moving ship, you need to have balance or hold on. As suite passengers, we had a butler, Joe, who was ever willing to help but I have to save he was totally underused by us. We just never knew what to use him for and although he was forever asking how he could help us, make our stay better, we never came up with much we needed. We are just too independent to really make a lot of use of him. I need to give a shout out to our room attendant, Wiji, who made up the room and did an excellent job, in a really unobtrusive manner. The room was always made up when we were out and always ready when we came back, We only did one shore excursion and that was in St Lucia to the volcano at La Soufriere as we have been in most of the other ports before or had no interest in getting off. This was an excellent trip, but be aware that roads in St. Lucia do not appear to go in a straight line either horizontally or vertically for more than a few yards, or so it seems. So if prone to motion sickness, it might not be advisable. Roads are very twisty and climb up and down hills all the time. Michael's Club was good and the service excellent but again we never felt we made proper use of it. The concierge was ever helpful as were the staff in there. We had a premium drinks package so never felt the need to go there just for a drink except when it was busy in other places. It was then a real oasis from the noise and clamour in other bars especially at dinner time in the evening. The entertainment was okay, if appearing limited at times. In my opinion it was nothing exceptional. Just the usual cruise lines shows and events. Nothing that was really exceptional or original. There were three productions in the theatre with the Celebrity singers and dancers. I still don’t understand the underlying story or what they were about. Also why do the female leads try to outdo each other by singing so high that at times it feels like they are trying to pierce my ear drums? I am not looking for opera on a cruise ship, just something that you can follow and enjoy. The shows got standing ovations, but in my opinion they were not worthy of that. Don't get me wrong the entertainers worked very hard but again just standard cruise line entertainers. The guest entertainers they brought in were good but I cannot remember the names of any of them. Probably says it all really; good but not memorable. Late in the cruise I discovered a series number of lectures that had been running all week, under the Beyond the Podium banner and a wonderful speaker called Bill “The Caveman” Steele. Like me, you might not think these are for you, but Bill’s talks very informative and enjoyable. Give them a try. I really enjoyed them. We had Internet access all the time we were on board. For the most part it worked but at times it was very slow. I guess you cannot expect perfection from technology on a moving ship. Finally would I go suite class again? I personally would probably not. It was nice to do for this special occasion and maybe I did not make full use of the facilities, but in my opinion, apart from a few perks I did not think I got value for the money spent. Rooms might be smaller in other classes, but you pay a lot less and what you save in money could be spent on other things, such as speciality dining. I guess it depends on your priorities and what is important to you. I hope this helps. I have never done a review before, but I have read many others so thought I should give back. These are only my opinions and I would still recommend Celebrity Equinox to others. It's a great cruise ship.

Eastern Caribbean Cruise for 60th Birthdays

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by grant1958

grant1958’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Equinox price drops

Sky Suite
Cabin S1 1403
First of all be aware that part of the balcony has an obstructed view because of some machinery. This was not made obvious to us at the time of booking and annoying at times. However, that being said, the balcony was large and a pleasure to use when shaded from the sun or when the sun went down. Not being a lover of direct sunshine, I expected more shade on the balcony during the day but for the most part there was none. I guess being in the aft corner of the ship did not help although the views in some ports were amazing. We loved sitting out there watching the wake of the ship as we sailed along. The cabin is bright and has lots of space but as has been remarked before there is a structural pole through the middle of the room. This did not bother my wife or I, but I could see why it might bother others. If I do have a complaint about the room, it would be that the bathroom, was not much wider than a normal cabin and could have been larger given the space in the rest of the room. Be aware, that the shower is in the bath and on a moving ship, you need to have balance or hold on. Finally, I cannot say I noticed any emissions from the smoke stack landing on the balcony.
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins