3. Norwegian Dawn
This was DD's college graduation cruise, and she brought her high school best friend, who had also just graduated. Had the suite decorated and a cake delivered. Made them both quite happy! Total party was Mom, Dad, son, daughter, graduate daughter, and best friend. Arrived in Boston a couple of days early. Stayed in a lovely VRBO that accommodated all 6 of us. Walked the Freedom Trail. Went to the ship early, since we had the GV. Terminal was very busy and the suites area was very small and quite crowded. We were escorted through as soon as customs cleared the ship. I have to say that the GV has more SQ FT than my house. Three of us play the piano, so I had requested it be tuned, which they did on the first day. There was a wedding party in the adjacent GV and we had piano wars one morning, which was quite fun. We did have dinner in the suite a couple of times. Private hot tub and sauna were GREAT! Excellent service from Jane, our butler, Gian, our Concierge, and Conrad, our steward. Went to a few shows. If you are on the Dawn, I would highly suggest seeing Elements (which is a Cirque du Soleil-like production), Jose and Patty (who sing in the atrium and have a show in the theater), and PJ, the magician was quite entertaining. During our first night, we ate at Los Lobos. The table-side quacamole was very good, but everything else was pretty blah. Moderno was excellent; Cagneys was excellent. O'Sheehans always great for wings and fajitas. Le Bistro was fine. La Cucina was warm and loud when we were there; ended up leaving after 45 minutes without main course. (Asst. Matre "d very apologetic and sent meal up to our room, with dessert, which was nice.) Bamboo was very good---almost didn't try after Pearl experience, but glad we did. We did lots of trivia, made a Gecko, learned dances, etc. Cruise Director staff was very enjoyable. We did not buy the spa pass because our suite had a personal hot tub and sauna. However, we did get the 10/20/30% off on massages. I didn't know before, but evidently you can forgo the 10% and get the embarkation special (which is extra time), so we opted for that. Overall, staff was friendly and engaging. Completed several hero cards. Bermuda had lovely weather. We did the Bermuda Triangle evening cruise through the ship. The captain was quirky and quite enjoyable. We rented bikes the 2nd day and tried to make the whole island. HA! I thought we would stop along the way and check things out....oh, no, my DH thought it was a race. Lots of hills in Bermuda. Who knew? Ended up going from Dockyard to Hamilton. DS and I separated from group for a short while without $$ or IDs....but the people on the island were very nice and even helped me when my pedal bike needed some tightening of the kick stand. Once group back together, we paid to catch the ferry back and turn in bikes----personally, if I never see another bike, I will not be sad. On last day, took ship ferry (which is very nice and quite big) over to St. Georges. Did a little shopping and ate at The Wharf, which was expensive, but good. Both DH and I think we should visit Bermuda again, as we didn't see all the things we wanted! I spent time every day in the casino. I play craps. Tables run $10. Ended up donating all my money, but for the most part had lots of fun playing. Which is the moral that I pass along to my kids....only play what you are willing to lose, and generally budget what you would for an evening of fun, because that's all you can count on getting. Once back in Boston, we had planned for water taxi from ship to store luggage (more sightseeing), then on to airport. However, the GV comes with transportation back to airport. I didn't know that. So, ended up taking provided transportation to water taxi luggage place, then went to aquarium, then water taxi to airport. There is a shuttle bus from water taxi drop off (you have to walk up ramp with luggage). Water taxi is nothing fancy, but I thought it would be an adventure. They have a cruise ship special of $25 to pick you up near ship, store your luggage, then take you to airport. Since we did this trip in May, the weather on the first sea day and last sea day was chilly. As with most cruises, bring something to ward off the chill.

Garden Villa takes the cake (or was it brings the cake?)

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Garden Villa

Overall, staff was friendly and engaging. Completed several hero cards.

Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Norwegian Dawn price drops

Garden Villa
Cabin S1 14000
Goodness, what can I say? Absolutely beautiful! Floor to ceiling windows, lots of room, personal hot tub and sauna, private sun deck. You can eat in the room. This room even had a galley with microwave, and multiple refrigerators. BIG bathrooms. King beds. Very pricey, but if you can ever swing it, it makes a special occasion very special!
Deck 14 Suite Cabins