3. Magellan
I booked because I wanted to go to the Scilly Isles. The other stops also looked good. My daughter wanted to re-visit Guernsey. The five ports all held interest for us. When we got on board I noticed a leaflet on my bed regarding a shore visit to Cherbourg, this was not a port on our itinerary and I panicked thinking we were on the wrong boat. Then I saw there was a change of ports, due to bad weather. We were being taken to Cherbourg and Portsmouth instead of The Scilly Isles and Guernsey. To my mind the only reason to go to Cherbourg is to get off a car ferry and head straight out. Well as for Portsmouth, only an hour away from home and another place very low on the want to visit list. It beggars belief that the cruise line thinks these were a good exchange. The cruise line knew of the change before we boarded. They should have offered a refund before sailing if had wished one. To make matters worse the French dockers were on strike and we never got to Rouen. Only two ports were of interest. Had we known about the change we would not have gone on this cruise. Such a disappointment, it ruined our holiday. The cruise line we felt had "made us prisoners" we were certainly taken places against our will. The ship itself held a mixture of feelings. We had to sort out problems. There were two cabins booked for myself, daughter and grandchildren. Yet they put us on different sittings, so we had to alter that. The cabins were very hot and that had to be seen to. The toilet in my cabin blocked three times and on a fourth time it flooded. The cabin was very noisy, a large notice at reception said the boat was full and there would be no changing of cabins. I and my daughter are very heavy sleepers, but we were kept awake most of the night, and my daughter ended up like a bear with a sore tooth. The food was reasonable, but not for foodies. The shows were for a mixture of tastes and some, especially the Easter Panto, were very enjoyable. The staff were all very polite and helpful with smiles (except the reception desk, no smiles there) The cocktails were nothing 'to write home about', had much better on other cruise lines. I asked for some monetary compensation but the cruise line will not give me any. That would have helped to sweeten the bitter taste. Therefore this is not a cruise line I shall use again, and certainly will not recommend, in fact I shall advise against them. Had we been aboard and the weather worsened so we could not go to our chosen destinations I may have felt a little sympathetic, but they knew before we got on and could have said something. Very dishonest.

Not the advertised Itinerary

Magellan Cruise Review by Lorna van Zyl

• Sail Date: March 2018
  • Destination: Europe

It beggars belief that the cruise line thinks these were a good exchange.

Lorna van Zyl’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

Very Noisy, Toilet blocks. Couldn't tell the difference between shampoo and shower gel (not labelled), very sub standard for toiletries